S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

general info regarding ohlin/stasis test drive tonight

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general info regarding ohlin/stasis test drive tonight

I just got back from my first decent test drive after installing the stasis/ohlins. All I can say is.. the same thing I said out loud when I floored it while turning onto an onramp: "holy sh@t!!". These things ride so smooth and stable I decided at that instant they are worth every penny.
The setting sheet that came with the kit has 5 settings listed: 1)comfortable street. 2)performance street. 3) aggressive street. 4) performance track. 5) aggressive track.
I set them to #2 as a starting point. For comparison, I rode in a friends mitsu evo last Saturday to lunch and back. His car had the same stiff ride I recall from riding in an older Camaro Z28. The term "log wagon" comes to mind. The ohlins do still have a "thump, thump" sound over larger bumps but absorb them 10 times better. Another test I tried was doing a couple hard U-turns. The main road is 3 lane each way (plenty of room) so I turned the wheel and hit the gas hard while turning. With stock suspension, the car would lean sideways (scary) and slide. Being a busy Friday night, I couldn't try it too many times but the two times I tried it remained smooth and stable, grabbed, and took off with no crazy leaning. Honestly, the thought of going from stock 250 lb/in?? to 650/750 springs gave me the uneasy feeling they might be too stiff for me to put up with over time. All I can say is I'm very surprised and happy with the smooth and controlled ride. This is EXACTY what I was looking for. Now that I have the sloppy suspension problem cured, it's time for more hp!
dave
Old 09-24-2004, 06:44 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Nice! Check them out on undulating highways, though.

I've found that a stiffer set of damping settings is required to dial out porpoising with 700f/800r springs on the Koni Motorsports. Not sure whether the Ohlins are better in that regard, but that's the only downside so far. Wait a few weeks and do the alignment/corner balance thing!
Old 09-24-2004, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds awesome! How do you change the settings, is it difficult?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Elder Member

Default Awesome. I bet that setup would kick *** on the track ;-)

If I could do it all over again, my first mods would be Ohlins and black 332 Stoptechs up front.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So is oversteer more prominent?
Old 09-24-2004, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I drove the highway 15 miles home. no trace of it

The evo I rode in did porpoise at low speeds on the fairly rough roads around work. I'm not sure of the physical differences between ohlin and konis. I can't speak for comparisons other than ohlin vs. stock. I'm sure going from koni to ohlin wouldn't be as night & day.
dave
Old 09-24-2004, 07:16 PM
Rest In Peace

Default FWIW, the porpoising only happens on undulating highways at highway speeds.

On normal lower speed roads, even crappy ones, there is no porpoising. And it's easy to dial out the porpoising on the highway by firming up the damping, but that makes city street driving less pleasant. But not all highways are created equal. I35 is the only bad one in KC. The others aren't a problem. If I stay off of that one, I have zero complaints. Maybe your highways are better than I35...
Old 09-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Elder Member

My H&R ultras do that on the highway. They are pretty good below highway speeds.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:18 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'm convinced it's related to the shocks...

I just can't dial it out by adjusting rebound, and I'm pretty convinced adding compression adjustability won't clean it up either. I hope someone near me drops some coin on a set of Ohlins so I can steal it...errr...drive it!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What suspension are u currently running doc? Car looks awesome in ur pic poster

Quick Reply: general info regarding ohlin/stasis test drive tonight