S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Going to change rear brake lines tonight at a tech session. Anything special I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to change rear brake lines tonight at a tech session. Anything special I need to know?

I did my fronts when I installed my BBK, but I neglected to do the rears. I need to re-bleed, so now is as good a time as any.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:27 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Use a flare wrench.

Several people have had trouble with a few of those fittings (they are overtorqued from the factory). So don't be totally shocked if you end up stripping one of them (the flare wrench will minimize that possibility).

Generally I like the pressure bleeders, but when you get large amounts of air into the lines from a SS line upgrade, I prefer pumping the brake pedal to force the air out.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:39 AM

Default There's 2 lines per corner, do inner line first.

Actually, to cut down on the mess, I pitched off the inner line with a vice-grip. Then i switched out the outerline. That way, there was minimal fluid leakage.

Then, I worked to replace the inner line, the outer connection first. While it's still pinched off, I disconnected the outer connection, replaced that connection with the new line.

I then disconnected the inner connection last.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Second that. Brass fittings become round really easy.
Rest In Peace

Default Each time I've used a pressure bleeder, I haven't been thrilled with the results.

I prefer the pedal method, personally.
Rest In Peace

Default Thanks. Did you get my message re directions to the Beav?

Have fun this weekend. I wish I could join you.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Agree with flare wrench, but I prefer pressure bleeder.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

great ideas here, as long as you are ok destroying the inner line (replacing as we are here).
Old 07-14-2004, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you use a pressure bleeder that works, correctly, the results should be identical (and MUCH faste

r)

i made mine myself. it's the same as the motul one.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:30 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Not really...

The difference is the pressure bleeder pressurizes the entire system from the reservoir to the caliper. While that's usually fine, there have been issues with the reservoirs cracking/exploding, and there are some lines running off the reservoir with no clamps on them. Hell, the reservoir is press fit onto the master cylinder.

So think about what could happen if you pressurize that part of the system as high as the pressure the rest of the system is designed to take. By using the brake pedal, you maintain pressure where you need it, and where the system was designed to handle it.

Now, if you just need to push some fresh fluid through, and you know there are no air bubbles that need to be forced out, using the pressure bleeder at a low setting (~7 spi) is just fine.

Oh, and that reminds me Matt. Keep a garden hose handy anytime you're dealing with brake fluid. You never know when something might go wrong, and that stuff will do some damage to your paint. I knocked over a jar full of brake fluid once...that pretty much made my night!

Quick Reply: Going to change rear brake lines tonight at a tech session. Anything special I need to know?