S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Got the call last night, but...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1999, 09:16 AM
Jyoteen

Default Got the call last night, but...

I got the call I've been dreaming of for the past 5 months. The Imola Yellow/Onyx is in and there is no paint mismatch between the plastic and the metal.

However, the nav system I ordered is not on the car. What the f***? Anyways, I've also heard that the nav system has some glitches between the reading of the CD and the hardware (software bugs?).

The dealer told me that the A6 2.7T's that have been shipping with the nav system have had these bugs. The region would be west coast, CA.

Should I take the car? I just didn't want to have a stalk shooting out of the dash somewhere with the LCD screen of aftermarket systems.

Please advise quick!!
Old 11-23-1999, 09:21 AM
Jim De Arras

Sounds like dealer BS to me.
Old 11-23-1999, 09:40 AM
Johannes Erdfelt

Default I have the nav system and haven't seen those problems (more)

It works well most of the time. It has some quirks which I suspect other systems will have as well (calling Highway 1 "Cabrillo Highway").

But, it's always worked.

Now, would I say it's worth $1200, absolutely not. But, it integrates well with the car and does a good job of getting me from point A to point B.
Old 11-23-1999, 10:38 AM
mm

Yup, smells rather strongly of dealer BS. I have not heard of any software glitches.
Old 11-23-1999, 10:51 AM
RBOB

Thats NOT the car you ordered, is it???
Old 11-23-1999, 12:24 PM
Peter Ryckaert

Default You could easily find out if that is "your" car, more...

If you watched all the way through production the scroll from Audi would show your full options and then when produced VIN. You would have known this was screwed up along time before the car arrived. I would ask them to produce the scrolls with the VIN that showed NAV on it. I bet they are lying. -Pete
Old 11-23-1999, 12:29 PM
Tommy T

Default Sounds like the dealer trying to sell YOU on the car that's available RIGHT NOW, not...

...the car that you really want to buy.

I have the nav system and was one of the original skeptics. You can find my long post and lots of follow-up from more talented users under my original heading "nav system disappointments" or something like that.

Anyway, I've tested the system quite a bit since then and have found it to be as good as the data on the CD. So, in Albany and parts of the Adirondacks (Eastern NY) where the data is sketchy, few roads are recognized except main roads. In the downstate/Long Island/Connectucut area, the CD seems very rich with data and the route finding is much better.

The interface on the system is exceptional. I'm now GLAD that I don't have a color LCD screen, the voice is much better, totally intuitive (once you've learned it) and completely eye-free. The CD has "interesting places" like gas stations, airports, hotels, restaurants. etc for the target area, so you can set those as the destination (like my recent trip to Hartford Airport) or you can set street addresses or intersections at the target. It's pretty cool.

There have been a few glitches. When it doesn't want you to take an exit off the interstate, it says bear left, which is kind of silly, but not dangerous. Once it told me to bear right at the next exit, except the exit was a rare left hand exit, so a little confusing, but since it told me the name of the road it wanted me to exit to, I figured it out anyway.

The system will display ETA, total driving distance, distance to next decision (turn), the name of the road you're on, and the name of the road onto which you're going to turn. Other than the ETA being based on posted speeds {wink}, everything else is precise to the inch. Amazing. Worth $1,200? No. But a great, great toy.

If you want, and can afford, this toy, don't settle for the dealer trying to steer you out of it just to make a quick sale. Remember, you'll have the car for at least 3 years. Get what you want. Good luck.

Tommy T
00 S4 silver/onyx/navtendo
Old 11-23-1999, 01:18 PM
Jyoteen

Default Re: Got the call last night, but...

Actually, it IS the car that I ordered (I switched out the Onyx interior for Silver when I saw the Silver interior before the car was built). The VIN # is consistent with the order and on the sheets it does say it has Nav, but when the dealer looked inside the car, no Nav.

I think I'm going to take the car anyways. Waiting 5 months has been excruciatingly painful, and from others, the Nav isn't worth the $1200.

I'll try to get aftermarket system that looks integrated.
Old 11-23-1999, 03:28 PM
EK

No nav problems, but would still take the car without