S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

H-Sport bars are finally in...install and driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-Sport bars are finally in...install and driving impressions

I hadn't done that much (cold, dirty) garage floor wrenching in a long time. After removing the stock rear bar last weekend and mangling a drop-link in the process, I realized that this elective surgery might come down to a test of my will. I replaced the stock droplinks with metal units from Blau. The Hsport rear brackets and bar install relatively easily, as long as all fasteners are kept loose enough that the subframe brackets can be persuaded into proper position with a couple deadblow taps. The top bolt of the bushing bracket on the passenger side is a bitch though. There's little finger room and no line of sight for the threaded hole. Patience and focus eventually got it done. The front bar is much less of a puzzle to install as everything is easily accessible, but getting the front swaybar links into position on the ends of the bar was a battle. I used a ratcheting tie strap to pull the ends of the swaybar together to get a *little* room, and used a channel lock to push the link outward and onto the face of the bar. It's a good thing I possess the strength of ten men
As expected the car has crisper turn-in and stays much flatter around the bends. I'm currently on snow tires so the car still requires a second to take a set in the corners, but feels very planted once there. I may take a long lunch break to attack some cloverleafs and get some better butt gyroscope data.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds lovely... i'll be installing H-Sports in a few weeks...

it's good to know that you really felt a difference. is it ok if i contact you by e-mail if i run into any issues when i'm installing them?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:59 AM

by all means
Old 02-11-2005, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the feedback- any opinion on how the setup handles the occasional bump or pothole?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Thanks for the feedback- any opinion on how the setup handles the occasional bump or pothole?

It really doesn't feel much different in that respect than with the old bars. Most of the bumps I've encountered so far are expansion joints, and with both wheels (front or rear) transitioning at the same time the effects of the bigger bar are negligible. However, I suppose that one-wheel bumps would be theoreticall harsher due to the big bars' greater resistance to allowing both sides of the suspension to operate independently. Overall I'm very pleased.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:39 AM

Default 2nd that. The rear bar is a bitch to install if something is out of alignment...

The front took about 30 min. I'm very pleased with mine. The car feels much much flatter. I've been told even flatter than touring valved tracksports on stock swaybars =) They're not going to replace the need for coilovers but they do an excellent job for how much they cost. The front bar, with the tubular construction, is even lighter than the stock bar. I havn't noticed any problems going over bumps so far. The car feels much tighter and more solid all around.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've been running H-sports for years now and have not noticed a difference in pothole handling.