S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Has anyone done a comparison between the Audi "quattro" and the Subaru "all wheel drive" system

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone done a comparison between the Audi "quattro" and the Subaru "all wheel drive" system

In terms of pros, cons, better engineering etc.etc?

Thanks

Tory
Old 09-18-2001, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default here's a Link, But ask Dave G., too

he owns both a audi and a subaru

I think, he said that his subaru performed better
going uphill in the snow..than the technically more sophisticated,
quattro IV system on his audi

just so you can balance theory, with empirical experience<ul><li><a href="http://www.eskimo.com/~eliot/awd.html">Intro to AWD systems</a></li></ul>
Old 09-18-2001, 11:17 PM

thinking about "the beaty of all wheel drive" in a 227hp form?
Old 09-18-2001, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Been putting it off for sometime.. Have gotten used to sedan looks, wagon is still not quite there..

I am looking at the WRX wagon, S4 Avant and or AllRoad.. I think the Allroad has it over the S4 Avant as I want a bigger vehicle (selling my Durango). The Allroad would handle all my camping and wakeboarding gear, plus the lil ladies bike when she wanted to go riding.

The S4 avant I would be afraid to put anything into it. Plus my S4 is not very happy right now.

The WRX has the potential, cheaper, interior is quite rough, exterior, sorry Franko!! The exterior of the wagon has not yet been accepted by me, the sedan yes, wagon not yet!

I'm a little spoiled now with owning an Audi that has one of the worlds nicest interiors. That is a double edges sword however. (even the 993 interiors say yech to me, ya ya it's a sports car, but I want my cake and eat it to!)
Old 09-18-2001, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Thanks Frank"I would prefer to have a FWD car on snow tires then an AWD on summer tires in the snow"

Interesting reading, but I didn't find a clear cut answer to which system is better..

But Audi does give ESP while I don't believe the WRX has any type of traction control (wrong or right?)

Gracias
Old 09-18-2001, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I prefer snow tires, on ANY car. But you are correct, no ESP or EDL...

but I don't have ESP on my 2000 either so I don't care

EDL is used as a substiture for a LSD, in the front or rear Diff

the WRX AWD, uses a VC center and rear..and the STI uses LSD's in all three pumpkins,
of one type or another..depending in STI or STI RA
Old 09-18-2001, 11:37 PM

Default i took a test drive in the 3.0vdc sedan, not worth 35 but more rugged then

a fricken pickup. the dealer drove me and gf up a hill then took us to a off road onto gravel with a cliff to the left. ol boy was flying, then he hit a rut, a huge rut at constant speed. he didnt even slow down.

this was the crap people bottom out their suspension on and scrape the undercarriage with. i was impressed with the capabilities, not acceleration though. cornering was good.

but i know you want that acceleration. i think motorweek gives it a 8.2-8.3 0-60. but all that acceleration is pointless if you are going offroad.
Old 09-18-2001, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Funny, I feel just the opposite re: sedan vs wagon looks <shrug>

the Allroad is tempting...but if your plan is to get the car all dirty and such
how important is the interior?
Old 09-18-2001, 11:44 PM

Default In general its VC vs. torsen.

VC sense the speed difference between the front and the rear and transfers torque to the one that spins slower.

Torsen sense torque(traction) difference between the front and the rear and transfers torque to the right side.

Torsen uses gears, VC used oil.
Old 09-19-2001, 12:10 AM

Default So that brings up the questions of VC vs torsen vs LSD.

Seems like the WRX has a better one given more limited-slip diff is used (2 instead of 1 in the quattro IV).

And when you say the STI used 3 LSD, are we talking about 3 VC, 3 torsen, or 3 clutch-type?

Also don't forget the speedvision S4 have the center torsen welded soild which means no f/r torque difference.
Also all recent WRC cars used VC center instead of the supposed better torsen.

Its a very confuing subject that I still don't understand and probobly never will.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a comparison between the Audi "quattro" and the Subaru "all wheel drive" system