S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Has anyone ever towed their car on a UHaul trailer? Any probs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever towed their car on a UHaul trailer? Any probs?

I was gonna ship it via Horseless Carriage from SF to NY, but my bro offered to haul it on one of those trailers for free. Am I gonna have any probs with getting the car on the trailer or will it get thrashed? This will save me over $1000...I appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Mike
Old 06-29-2001, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

as long as its flat-bedded and has full car cover with locks, it should be safe
Old 06-29-2001, 11:43 AM

Default I would go with Horseless unless you're car is totally stock...more

I moved from Chicago to the Bay area and I also used Horseless Carriage. One of the advantages is you get a fully enclosed trailer with professional lifting equipment. (Most U-hauls have very steep angles to clear and there is a huge stopper that will definitely catch if your car is lowered or has let's say the UUC ADS)

The other problem with the U-haul is your car is in the open air so subject to all sorts of damage or worse yet, accident. Then you have to add gas and food so I would rather just ship it. That $1000 is worth it. I actually spent $1500 for mine but would never hesitate to do it again. The driver was very professional and prompt.

The day they delivered my car to my office, there was also a Diablo, an Ashton Martin, and a Ferrari 456GT! That goes to show you their experience.

hope this helps,
Rick
Old 06-29-2001, 12:53 PM

Default I did this to bring my car to the track once

We got a flat Uhaul trailer and loaded the S4 onto it. I only had 2 problems, both were minor.

The first was that the front doors line up with the wheels on the trailer. So you can't open them. You have to climb out and in the window.

The second was that my car was lowered and the front bumper catches on the front of the trailer. Some wood under the front wheels solved that problem. Shouldn't be a problem for you since you're stock. I caught by a quarter inch or so.