S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Headlight help needed........

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight help needed........

I had a new passenger side headlight installed at the bodyshop after a slight incedent. The new light is not right. There is one beam that shoots down in front of the car and the light "bounces" over bumps. I know what's wrong. I don't know how to fix it though. I removed the light and found that the motorized leveler is not connected. This is allowing the bouncing. The motor will still push the light up and down but because the "ball" is not in the "socket" (both are white) it is allowing the bouncing effect. I know I need to get that ball into the socket but I don't know how to disassemble the light. Any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

i would suggest taking it back to the body shop that did the work..i wouldnt touch it.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:20 PM

Default I have taken it back to them. Next logicall step would be to leave the light with them buttt....

I find them a bit incompetent. Also, with the luck I've had so far with this car (bought in June-Seagull $hit carnage all over interior 3 days later-Hit by UPS truck that ran a red one month later-Drive it 2 days after all Insurance issues closed and after sitting at body shop for 7 weeks only to begin an impressive array of 18 faults-December-Paid $250 to friends family shop only to have them clear the codes and have them pop back up again PS: I have a VAG and can do that on my own.) This car that I have dreamed of owning for so long is turning into a nightmare!

Back to my point. Yes I should take it back to them however, if I can I would rather do the work. I need my car for work when they would need to work on it. Catch 22.....

Sorry to rant, I'm frustrated and running out of $ to throw at this car.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

how many miles does it have
Old 12-09-2006, 01:47 PM

Old 12-09-2006, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The housing doesn't come apart, you have to take the back covers off and work through those.

There is no systematic way to get the ball in the socket, all I can say is that it will seem like it isn't going to fit until it suddenly snaps in. Basically, it's a b*tch. Work carefully and you'll get it.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:50 PM

Default OK I understand working through the back covers. Now, the light that is nearest the grill is the

one I need to work on. The motor (black) has a white plastic ball that needs to go into the hole. I understand everything you wrote but do I need to disconnect the motor from the base of the light first? I can't see how it's attached. My inclination says it's some kind of a pull out but.....if it isn't I'll break it. Can you help?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The motor turns (up), then pulls out. I think the way I did it was to put the leveling motor in

but not turn it so it would have some play to fit the ball in the socket which has to go into the socket from the top.

Search for leveling motor and you'll find pics of what you need but here's a link that should help, courtesy of Mark P.<ul><li><a href="http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/s4/euros/euroinstall.html">click</a></li></ul>
Old 12-09-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Thanks. I'll try that tomarrow. My socket for the ball does look a bit different though, also the

ball on the motor is white not green. Is this because the link was for Euro's?
Old 12-09-2006, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Depends on the motor. IIRC my were white too because it was a VW part. Same motor, just cheaper.

Quick Reply: Headlight help needed........