S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

On the heals of "why I hate my Samco TBB" we have why I hate my Bailey Valves.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the heals of "why I hate my Samco TBB" we have why I hate my Bailey Valves.

So Samco TBB, the inside ridge on the large opening came apart, causing the TBB to come off underneath under high boost. Didn't know it had come off, dealer charged me like 2 bills to put a new stock one on when I took it in for service.

Thinking that was the cause of my problems, picked up car, checked, car was throwing codes again. Took it back, figuring, hey it can't be the Bailey Valves, it just can't be. Taner offered to loan me some 710n valves, but I was too tired, and was like, nah, can't be the baileys.

Well, gee, it was the bailey valves, they were both leaking. Talked to the tech, he said he drove it, he actually put like 20 miles on it testing it. Pressure tested the system, and smoke tested the valves.

So I get them replaced with factory BPV at my cost.

The whole Bailey experience costs me a pile of cash for the valves and what the dealer charged me to tell me it was the bailey vavles that were the problem. Car drives fine now, no more codes.

So, I figure until my warranty is up, just use the crappy factory parts, and when they break have them replaced for free instead of buying pricey and crappy aftermarket parts that you have to pay to replace when they fail.

YMMV with Bailey valves, but I certainly can't say anything nice about them.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:08 PM

Jim, you have mail.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:11 PM

Default I better get a lollipop in my package

:-P
Old 08-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Elder Member

Default 110's man, $21 each. Even if they break once a year, thats a lot of years before you pay for Baileys

I've seen that happen a lot to Samco TBB's, for what its worth. We did an emergency TBB re-attachment on the side of the road with cars whizzing by at 80mph one evening because a samco popped off.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

were the baileys old style or new style (new ones have the hex bolts around the tops)??
Old 08-07-2002, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think that is par for the course for the Samco TBB, the Baileys are more surprising to me.

I am going with the 110's. Dealer charged me $54 each for freaking 710N valves, I asked them if they chrome plated them or something.

I will just stock up on TBB's and BPV's, put some in the trunk.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bought them in 11/2000 they have the right angle nipple ( yeah, I said nipple) on them that screws

off.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds like the old ones with different pistons, nipples & caps...

bummer you went through that. I've had some frustrating experiences with BPV's too... but not to the $$ damage as you.

Had sticky Forges... almost got creamed by someone 'cuz my car just sat there dumping boost... got my $$ back

Bought new style Baileys.... no problems

Bought 710n's 'cuz everyone said they were the ****.... had increasing lag problems between shifts... had them opened up and they were fine?!?

Put Baileys back in.... lag went away..... *shrug*.......
Old 08-07-2002, 03:29 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default But, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but it can't be the Bailey valves...

...they don't fail. ;-P Or at least the newer version of them aren't supposed to. But I don't think an effort was made to see that everyone who had an older version got a free upgrade to the newer version...
Old 08-07-2002, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is a newer version. Apparently I didn't get the memo. My Bailey's must have had the old covers

on their TPS reports.

Quick Reply: On the heals of "why I hate my Samco TBB" we have why I hate my Bailey Valves.