S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Hey, if anyone has a problem with a high pitched squeeking that's hard to find...(more)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey, if anyone has a problem with a high pitched squeeking that's hard to find...(more)

I may have the answer. Much thanks and all of the credit goes out to LI-S4 for his diagnostic expertise.

So, I've been hearing this high pitched squeek that is relentless and is heard at every little dip, crevice or other unevenness in the road. I thought it was the door pannel, and so LI and I removed the door pannel, and noticed that my aftermarket woofer was loose in the mounting. So, we assumed that was it (or I did, he suggested I take it for a ride and check after we had the door put back together). NO LUCK. I was so pissed.

So, we were driving around like a couple of wierdos, LI driving my car, while I was steering from the passenger seat. He had his head down by the door trying to figure out where it was coming from. This must have looked comical, and I don't want to think where the neighbors thought we were doing. We must have circled the neighborhood about 6 times.

So, we determined it was the seat. But what about the seat? Turns out there is a metal bracket under the drivers seat (haven't checked yet to see if there's one also under the passenger seat, but I imagine there is) that holds all the wiring harnesses. It's attached to a black metal tab bracket with a brass screw, and that bracket is wrapped around the black tube metal frame of the seat bottom. Well, that's the culprit. I haven't nailed down the exact problem, but I'm pretty certain the brass screw is too long, and when I hit any road imperfection, my weight pushes the harness down, and the tip of that brass screw, which is too long mind you, rubs against the metal tubing of the seat frame. For now, I bent the bracket back a couple of degrees, and the sound stopped immediately, but my guess is that one big bump, and my weight (all 145 lbs of me) will push the bracket back in contact with the tubing again. So, in the long term, I either have to find a shorter screw, or file this one down and cover the exposed portion with some sort of rubber or plastic cover to prevent this from continuously occurring. Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but if so, I hope this is useful.

Many thanks again to LI-S4!
Old 08-11-2002, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i've been dealing with that mouse squeeks for weeks now... mine is not high pitched though..thanks!
Old 08-11-2002, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've got that squeek in the passenger seat. Usually when I move the seat up or down it goes away for

a while. Now I know where to look. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2002, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Glad I could be of help. If you find anything else, let us all in on it.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just a thought....

As a possible remedy, try wedging something between the bracket and the frame tube to see if that eliminates the squeek. Maybe a rolled up paper towel as a temporary fix, before, and to help figure out something more permanent...
Old 08-12-2002, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you guys shoulda crawled under there and taken an ants' view pic
Old 08-12-2002, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We're thinking along the same lines. I want to see if I can find some plastic cover at Home Depot..

to cover the back of sheet metal screws. That would be the best answer. If not, I may remove the braket and put a strip of thick rubber that I'll cut to size underneath it. That would also do the trick.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

True, but it was 5pm, more than 95 degrees out, and we were tired of trying to find this thing...