S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

High beam adjustment question ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some thoughts

I put in Euros a few weeks ago and haven't had any problems like you're having. I had my dealer adjust them, and I've never been flashed yet.

You should double check that your bulbs, including the xenon capsule, are properly seated in their housings. It would be easy for the xenon to be seated wrong because of the wire clip designed to hold non-xenon (H7) bulbs.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
Default High beam adjustment question ...

After swapping to Euro HID housings, I had my local dealer "aim" my headlights by telling my service advisor they seemed "off". No prob (also no mention of them being Euros), and the aiming was done during a routine service visit. BUT, my highs are still horribly off ... throwing a beam only a few feet in front of the car, and dead center (!) -- waaaaay lower than the xenons and too concentrated. I assume they aimed the lows, but didn't check the highs. Is one of the two adjustment screws/hexes on the housing for the highs -- i.e., one adjusts the lows, the other is for highs??? If so, which is which?

Also ... for those with Euros, do you get flashed (as if to alert you that your high beams are on) by like every other car? I was flashed a few times with the stock housings, but am constantly being flashed now ... these Euros are friggin' bright! Any thoughts?

TIA
Old 05-11-2001, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I assume so ... I don't see any "bouncing" and they seemed to fit properly when I did the swap ...

... how would I know?
Old 05-11-2001, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

High beam is not adjustable separately from xenon (all one assembly) - bulbs likely not seated...
Old 05-11-2001, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the adjustment screws move the entire housing up/down L/R

including both the lows and highs. As idealrides mentioned, your high beam bulbs may not be seated correctly.

As for getting flashed more with the euros, I noticed that too. The euro reflector and lense throw more light, especially to the right. In fact, occasionally, cars ahead in the right lane would shield the light from their sideview. I aimed mine a little lower than my olds ones but not much. A nice difference for me was swapping the metal plates from the US housings that control the stairstep pattern.

The stair step to the right on the euros is higher, while the US version is a lower and more abrupt transition. If you look inside the low beam housing, just before the lense, you can see the metal plate (sorry don't have pic). It's a bit of a pain to swap 'em but it has helped... I don't get flashed anymore :-)
Old 05-11-2001, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks (everyone) ... I'll check my high beam bulbs.

I also noticed -- in addition to being brighter and having a wider, longer throw -- the step is more pronounced and higher on the right relative to the US spec housings. I don't mind the step, nor do I mind the increased effectiveness, just tired of flashing people back so as to say "these <i>are</i> my low beams!" : )