S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

High Mileage Owners, How is Your B5 S4 Holding Up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage Owners, How is Your B5 S4 Holding Up?

I did a quick search and couldnt come up with much so wanted to raise the question to you guys. (I could have been more thorough in the search so sorry if this is a repost) I am looking into getting a b5 s4, but it has 120k miles, and am wondering just what to expect. The car has had k04's since 2004, but has been well maintained. Anyway, just wanted to see how cars with high mileage are holding up.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I bought my car with 123k on it and it now has 158k. I went into the deal knowing that I had to spend $$$ to rebuild it. Now that I have put in a ton of $$ the car is consistant and more fun then any car i've owned. Just know that its not a Honda/Toyota if something goes wrong you will have to cough up the big bucks and if you are ok with that or you like doing the work yourself then buy the car have a blast and if the old owner has already done much of the maintenance even better.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bought mine at 126k knowing that it needed new front suspension bushings.
Especially the upper control arm bushings are known to go out after about 100k.
As far as the engine, only the throttle body boot and EGT sensors have been replaced.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine is almost at 110,000 and has been stage 2 for quite some time with no major problems. I know I have a turbo replacement coming further down the road. However, it is an amazing car to have if you can afford the service and all in all is definitely worth it(especially if its stage 3.)
Old 03-01-2010, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sounds promising, thanks for the input. As far as budget for repairs, about how much should I expect have put aside at all times? I was thinking having $2k ready in case anything went wrong, but otherwise spend on mods (or other things in life that income should actually go toward...like a girlfriend? lol). I may rebuild the K04's in the near future since it has been 6years, but not sure on that yet. Any other major weak points in the engine besides hoses, pipes, and others mentioned in the S4 noob guide from AudiWorld ?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bought mine with 30K, now I have 188K on it. Stock everything, 6sp, still original K03's, and I treated it well so I can't compare to guys that bought with > 100K. After this winter in the northeast (with snows), I still *LOVE* THIS CAR! Friday morning I was the only car on the road, passing all the SUV's in their driveways covered in snow. You'll eat wheel bearings though...
Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine came with complete records,
so I know it has original turbos.
Eventhough it has been chipped since 60k miles.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I got mine (01.5)with high miles already 146k and after discovering some problems, bushings and control arms being the main ones along with pads and rotors the motor is solid and strong. I did need to replace the rear drive shaft as well.
I recently took it to stage 2 and added bilstien pss9 coilovers, I could'nt be happier with this car. If only it was a manual.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

bought mine with 123k only had the catalitic converters problem wich my check engine light was on for a while but i just took them off and at 130k i made it stage two plus i fully maintain it i treat it like a baby and its been good for me so far no problems exept a cracked coolant reservoir and a burned oil temp sensor this cars are great im only the second owner on it and my ko3s were replaced at some point.....
Old 03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nikitynick
Sounds promising, thanks for the input. As far as budget for repairs, about how much should I expect have put aside at all times? I was thinking having $2k ready in case anything went wrong, but otherwise spend on mods (or other things in life that income should actually go toward...like a girlfriend? lol). I may rebuild the K04's in the near future since it has been 6years, but not sure on that yet. Any other major weak points in the engine besides hoses, pipes, and others mentioned in the S4 noob guide from AudiWorld ?
I'd leave the K04s alone and only mess with them if they fail. Just set aside some money to replace them and call it a day. I know cars that have put over 80k miles on K04s and still going strong as hell. My own car has run great for 10 (6 on k04s) years. Between 2004-2008 I didn't have to replace anything but a MAF. I will need to do a synchro replacement at some point. I have replaced all the suspension bushings up front. It only causes issue at high rpm shifts....other than that, not a problem. Car has just under 150k miles. My car really hasn't given me any real grief. It has been an abnormally strong car from the start. My experience may not be the norm, but there are quite of few that have had cars as reliable as mine. I don't baby the **** out of it either. I take very good care of it, but I ENJOY driving it.

If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them for you. Good luck.

Quick Reply: High Mileage Owners, How is Your B5 S4 Holding Up?