S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How does the Avant hatch lock mechanism work? .......

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How does the Avant hatch lock mechanism work? .......

how does the "unlock" button inside the car work with the tailgate, and how does the remote button (there are 3, right?) work? Is there a handle above the license plate? Does it auto lock after a certain time, etc?
Old 09-18-2001, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've reprogrammed the remote so...

When I hit unlock, the tailgate unlocks as well, but doesn't "pop". The unlock button from the inside doesn't open the hatch if the door is open and the key is in or out of the ignition.

The remote button at that point doesn't open the tailgate either. The opening handles are under the top lip where the license plate area is.

The remote does open the tailgate independently of the doors if all the doors are locked and the alarm unarms itself for you to open the tailgate, and then re-arms when you close it.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default so there is a separate button inside the car that is not in a sedan?

you said:
"The unlock button from the inside doesn't open the hatch if the door is open and the key is in or out of the ignition."

is there any dependancy on the key being in the ignition. Above, your words seem to say it's the same regardless of whether or not the key is in.

Maybe a more straight forward question is:
1A.) Is there any situation where the tailgate becomes physically unlatched (more than just unlocked) by means other than putting your hand on the handle by the license plate?
1B.) And if so, how can this be done?

Geeze, you'd think I'd know this by now
Old 09-18-2001, 08:39 AM
Elder Member

Default Yeah, you can unlock all the doors and the hatch, then use the handle, or pop it from the remote.

You can also completely lock the hatch using the key, open it from the fob without unlocking the doors, or pop it from the front driver door.

There are two 'door handles' up inside the hatch above the license plate you use when the car is unlocked.... I usually use the fob anyway and open it up without touching it just out of laziness.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

You can unlatch the rear hatch with the remote
Old 09-18-2001, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default thanks

so if you unlock the doors (all) with the remote, then you can grab the tailgate handle to unlatch/open the tailgate

and/or if you just hit the tailgate button on the remote, it unlatches the tailgate.

Sounds like it works the same as the VW Golf.

It's odd though because in theory it could work the same as the sedan, since both have a physical button/lever on the trunk. Not sure it really makes any sense to unlatch the trunk from the remote since you have to put your hand on the handle anyway to lift the tailgate. Seems that unlocking it would be sufficient and safer
Old 09-18-2001, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default thanks - two handles? Just for more area to grab on to?

so, if I'm sitting in the car and the doors are locked (and car running) and a friend is walking towards the trunk to put something in, I can either:

A.) unlock the doors and then he can pull up on the handle or

B.) press the trunk button on the driver's door which will unlatch the rear tailgate so he doesn't have to pull on the handle.

One more question: If I press the trunk button from inside the car and it unlatches the trunk, will it relatch it after a given time interval? Or is it physically too far open for tha to happen?