S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How does everyone know that Audi has bad turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does everyone know that Audi has bad turbos?

I keep seeing people say that audi knows they have bad turbos but where is the evidence?

I'm not trying to be a smartass but I have been reading this board for a while and have never seen anyone produce anything close to hard evidence. But it is possible I missed it because I don't read every thread.

Are people just drawing conclusions from what they see on this board? Or has Audi come out and said that they have a bad batch of part X.

Now I agree with frank. I think the dealer should at least try to determine what caused the turbos to blow and not just assume that it was a chip. From there decisions can be made about warranties.

And I will grant you some people here have had NASA-esque experiences with dealers and AoA. And those are valid issues. But it seems kind of silly to me for people to be jumping to conclusions with nothing but word of mouth evidence. If you are serious, put some real numbers together.

Ok, I will stop ranting now.
Old 05-30-2001, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default they changed the turbo part #'s towards the end of september

and APR said that the oil channels in the new housing were much larger
Old 05-30-2001, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default that's the problem with a discussion board...

SOME cars have really serious problems...I mean, fatal tranny and turbo problems.

Now is it a large proportion of the community? Hell no. Is it a large proportion to what would be considered "normal"? OOOOH YEAAAA.

We should see a .003 failure rate for the fleet or so...we see closer to a 3% failure rate and that is a SERIOUS problem.

My informed opinion is that there are some design defects in the SYSTEM and that if that SYSTEM isn't exactly assembled to spec that it has a HIGH likelyhood of failing.

Basically the passenger's side turbo CAN overheat and it CAN starve for oil and it CAN have FOD from a DV impact it...MOST cars won't have this problem but too many do.

I do NOT believe the second turbo failure on Imola was due to bad install. I drove and VAGged and AC-22d that car and it ran perfectly for 1200 miles then the turbos "went off" and the passengers side one failed again. My guess is a blockage in the oil lines from the engine and the mangled turbine blades were actually from scraping on the housing.
Old 05-30-2001, 08:24 AM

Nasa, you've become an expression like being "Munsened" - congrats! "I've been nasad!"
Old 05-30-2001, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

and *if true*, that means KO4's won't solve the problem..and neither will bigger oil lines
Old 05-30-2001, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I woulda thought that would make things WORSE...

wouldn't that turbo have DIFFERENT lubrication and cooling requirements? Where would the ability to provide that come from?
Old 05-30-2001, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No the center and external housing is the same...thing is that the KO3 *might* not be the problem
Old 05-30-2001, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I know...i feel really bad about that...

I'm torn between keeping the topic current and simply walking away so as not to poison other people`s S4 experience.

If you look back over the last 2-3 pages, the subject of turbo reliability has come up because of 3 or 4 recent turbo failures. Now this IS the sort of stuff that we should talk about IMHO but what about the poor guy who waited 3 months for his pride and joy and now has this fear hanging over him?

Unfortunately for me, that "fear" turned into reality so I can't really step back and enjoy my S4 any more. I hate to think that people will use my handle as a description of the ultimate bad ownership experience...

but then again...that's what I'm going through :-(
Old 05-30-2001, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yep, old tech. and everything, but should work fine with the conditions it was made to work with.

Overspinning, extreme heat or not enough oil would kill it with enough time.
Old 05-30-2001, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

right..the whole NEW/OLD turbo thing, is a joke

Quick Reply: How does everyone know that Audi has bad turbos?