S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

HRE " Fish bowl flaw " Anybody know how to fix this probelm ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

441R here, found out during highway/high speed driving in the rain,not noticable during city driving
Old 12-06-2006, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's some serious BS! Do they provide a warning of some sort prior to purchase?

That's the only reasonable (if you can call it that) reason they could take that approach.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As others have said here, it's not a flaw. That situation is seen on any reverse lip type rim.

My Iforged wheels do that too but only in very hard rains. Your mild shower won't cause it to do that. Usually, just slowing down or pulling off onto the shoulder will allow the water to run off and then you're good as new. Actually, even when it does happen, I don't usually feel it until I'm above 65 so technically you'd be speeding in most parts of the country.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:30 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Depends on how you define flaw...

If you define flaw as "unlike other wheels of similar style and design", no, it's not a flaw.

However if you define flaw as "unsuitable for the purpose for which the product is sold", then yes, it's a flaw.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:33 AM
Banned

Sounds very unsafe for an expensive product. I'd find a local products liability lawyer.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default lol. the second.

i mean i dont believe they designed it to do that... its prolly an oversight that was only discovered after its been in use...

i wish they would stand by their product... all i hear/read is that hre iforge do not back their products...
Old 12-07-2006, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I actually do believe it was a known condition when the wheel was designed.

It's not like HRE made the first reverse lip wheels ever. Then there's Kinesis, Iforged, DPR, SSR and many other brands that make the same type of designs. I'm sure all of them knew that this conditions exists and it was probably deemed acceptable for normal driving conditions. I guessing that the bump in the barrel that causes the wheel to retain water must of some type of purpose otherwise it wouldn't be there. Think about it, if it was as simple as taking it out, don't you think they would have done it for all their newer designs.

All mods have trade offs. This is just one of those things. If thats not acceptable for your application, then there are stepped lip wheels available that do not have this problem.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:32 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The channel doesn't serve a purpose...it's a byproduct of the wheel design...

the design necessary to support the reverse orientation/construction.

It's amazing to me that anyone would accept this condition as a trade off for modding our cars. It's one thing if the manufacturer states that the wheel shouldn't be used in rainy conditions due to this issue. But if they make no effort to warn a customer that a $6000 set of wheels should not be used in the rain, this problem makes the wheel unfit for it's intended purpose.

There are consumer protection laws in every state that address things like this. It's just a question of how much longer these companies continue to sell without warning their customers. They will be found guilty...and after that happens, it gets a whole lot easier for other customers to get their money back.

Part of the problem for them might be the fact that if they are found guilty, or they admit guilt in any way, other customers might be banging down their doors. If that's the case, it's better for them to quietly settle the issue when a customer gets "loud". This way there is no admission of guilt and no avalange of angry customers. It's a typical product liability situation...companies deal with this all the time.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default casting?

idk what other purpose it may have.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default most likely...

with out the appropriate funding that kind of event could knock someone out of the water... (no pun intended)

Quick Reply: HRE " Fish bowl flaw " Anybody know how to fix this probelm ?