S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I did the diy for my "blown" Bose rear speaker today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did the diy for my "blown" Bose rear speaker today...

I know this is probably old news for many, but for anyone experiencing that annoying rattling problem with the Bose speakers and thinking of replacement, think again. Your speakers are not "blown"... No need to invest in new speakers/system at all. Just a quick visit to the hardware store for some strong adhesive, and your time to fix it.

I don't spend a lot of time in the S4 either, so I wasn't looking to replace anything. The Bose system is really all I need to enjoy my tunes.

The passenger side rear deck Bose speaker had been rattling (not blown) for quite awhile now, and it got really bad a few weeks ago. I did a few searches here to see what was up.

After searching just a few threads, I found one where an AudiWorlder had mentioned the diy. Apparently, the soft glue that keeps the plastic dome attached to the cone dries and separates from the cone, causing the annoying rattling.

Following the tech section on how to remove the speakers, an easy inspection confirmed this problem. The plastic dome on the cone had separated about half way around.

I picked up some plastic-safe epoxy, and re-glued the plastic dome back on after removing the old glue. I also did this diy to the drivers side speaker just to be safe.

The speaker is working great again, and my bass is back, perfect!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have the exact same problem, good to know

I know i should search... kinda lazy right now, but how do you get the deck lid off? I was looking at it the other day and it seems pretty breakable. I can just see myself trying to pull it off and snapping it in half.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I followed the tech article linked...

It was very easy. Nothing needs to be forced to be removed. I followed this word for word and had no problems. Below are some more tips to add to that method...

The rear seat literally pops right off when you pull it up, never knew that. The two seat trim pieces need to be pushed down a little, then unhooked from the bottom by pulling on the latch outward from the hook.

With the rear deck paneling, once the 3 bolts are removed from under the child seat anchors, there are 6 points that secure the panel. Just snap the front ones up and out by pulling up where they are fastened, and then pull the panel forward to release the rear ones.

The foam under the deck panel is lightly glued to the deck lid. Just peel it away slowly with the back of your hand as you pull it up and towards you.

You will need a short phillips head screwdriver to remove the screws on the speakers.

I used a basic epoxy safe for plastic. It came in syringe style, which you pump, mix, apply and then it sets in 5 minutes. I made sure the epoxy made an air tight seal on the cones by twisting the plastic domes, spreading out the epoxy evenly. Those plastic domes are not going anywhere now.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec58.shtml">click for rear deck speaker removal tech article</a></li></ul>
Old 07-11-2005, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks man, I'll have to give it a try soon. This buzzing is gettinng really annoying.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I have the exact same problem, good to know

thank you very much....!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cool, glad I could help.