S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I really can't get the leveler motor ball back into it's socket on my headlight.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really can't get the leveler motor ball back into it's socket on my headlight.....

It does not seem possible. Everything I have tried didn't work several times. When I put the leveler motor in it is close enough to touch the socket and sit on the outside of it. There is no "play" with this. Once the motor is in the holder but before or after it is turned I cannot get it to snap in place. I would think that the only way to get it to go in would be to have the ball go around the side into one of the "Channles" Left or right. Snapping it in straight on is impossible. I tried to the point of almost breaking the internals because that is the only way you can move the thing. I've messed with this thing for several days now. I am throwing in the towel and will be grabbing my sledge hammer soon. Please, Please, any ideas? I've seen every write up about headlights on this site and none have helped with this aspect of them.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had trouble with it too, but got it in by turning one of the white *****

so that the channels were moved closer to the leveling motor...don't snap the leveler in until you get it in the channels. Hope this helps....just do whatever you can with the white ***** to get the channels as close as possible to the leveler.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:39 PM

Default I'm playing with the white ***** now (as we speak) and I can't get them to really do anything...

There is play with the light so it will go up and down which is what I want to eliminate. Now when I turn the ***** the play will go away but it really only hurts the situation. When the play goes away the "Channel" and the bottom of the light get farther away which is the opposite of what I need. I can move the light by hand to get it closer but A.) it's not close enough B.) I need 4 child hands to get into the light........AAARGGH! I understand exactly what needs to be done. If I could only break the Motor holder all of my problems would be solved. Then I would have a new one. Can I somehow get the motor to "push" and stay in that position? That would theoretically lengthen the "Ball" and I might be able to get it in. I am grasping for ideas.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what happens if you turn and turn the white screws and nothing works?

I dont know how, well I'm sure I stripped it, but dont know when. I try to turn the white ****/screw to raise my headlight beam up, but no go. I recall seeing a post a few years ago about someone cutting open the back and manually doing it from the inside. I'm hoping somebody has that picture on file.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:27 PM

What if the ***** are broken or stripped? How can that be fixed?