S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Imola Update: Imapct broke one of the timing belt covers..... hrrrm not good.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imola Update: Imapct broke one of the timing belt covers..... hrrrm not good.

Well they started tear down on my car today...and the one tech at the body shop (really knew his stuff... very comforting and confidence inspiring) pointed out that one of the timing belt covers had been punctured by something. The cause is unknown, but he raised concerns of either the timing belt having been hit, or something getting between the timing gear and belt. In either case could be bad since I'd turned the car on after the accident and moved it about 20 feet. It didn't sound pretty, but I wasn't really expecting or listening for piston->valve noise... I was thinking it was actually one of the many fans on the front of the car. I wasn't really paying attention given that it was about a minute after impact.... =/

Well it's not positive yet as to what the potential damage there is.... but it just opened up a whole new can of potential worms. =(

Once teardown is complete, they're going to get an alignment tool from the audi dealership and check it out.

*crossing fingers* btw... a new crate 2.7T motor is about 15k they said.

Just in case (i hope I'm not jumping the gun or jinxying myself here).... any suggestions for a fun-to-drive yet practical car?

The only ones that I can come up with are M3 and S4.... and RWD + skiing makes even the new M3 not quite as desirable as the S4.

Too bad I can't find a new S4 =(

Maybe throw practicality out the window? Buy a pickup and a Lotus/350Z/RX8?
Old 08-12-2002, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Porsche Boxster S.

This is the car to beat. Period. This quote from Evo this month about the new Boxster and the S version says it all:

"Porsche keeps the Boxster at the top of the class by doing, erm, not much"

That said, if you want to be on top of a list for another S4, keep an eye out for my Avant. Don't know if you'd want it, but fellow Imola owners come first! :-))

On the cheaper end of things, they gave the new Z rave reviews as well.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

$15k? crap, just get a crate RS4 engine
Old 08-12-2002, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

bahhh..
Old 08-12-2002, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default unless the timing belt actually broke, and you ran the engine, i doubt anything serious...

...has gone wrong.

I don't know the details of your issues, but the timing belt is not exactly easy to break. In addition, the cam pulley's are beefy and can take a little abuse.

The only issue (with relation to your timing belt) is that the engine is an interference design. If you broke a belt, or managed to somehow slip the cam gear on the cam (doubtful, but possible), then internal engine damage is really a concern.

But if none of those things happened, then you should be internally ok.

However, given that you have a hole in your timing belt cover, you should remove them (3) and thoroughly inspect the belt and cam pulley's for any damage. And of course, if you went to all the trouble of getting to the timing belt, you might as well replace it. If you do decide to be cheap and not replace the belt, then take note of the direction of the belt, and install it in the same direction (and I don't mean inside-out, i mean in respect to direction of travel).

Just remember, if you do replace the timing belt, you NEED to use a cam lock tool to keep the cams from turning while you are swapping the belt. You should also lock the crank (TDC on Cylinder 3), but there is less likelihood of the crank turning on you than the cams.

Also, the timing belt covers (left and right) have some kind of "rail" that snaps into them. The rail (which I assume is there for manufacturing reasons) follows the line of the intake piping. If the intake pipe were to move enough, it could kit the rail and break the plastic cover.

Likewise, the intake piping bolt to the timing belt cover (1 spot on the upper corner). The bolt's thread into a brass insert in the plastic. If the intake piping moved, it could have cracked from that point as well.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ryan I'm impressed! Now when we hookin up?
Old 08-13-2002, 05:48 AM
Elder Member

Default btw, from soemone who ahd a new engine...its not 15K...its a lttle less than

that WITH LABOR included.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:07 AM

there was a new 900 mile nogaro avant 6 speed on e-bay!
Old 08-13-2002, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How much $$$?
Old 08-13-2002, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what bodyshop? German Autobody is laggin big time!!

Quick Reply: Imola Update: Imapct broke one of the timing belt covers..... hrrrm not good.