S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Interesting findings. My car is faster with the stock exhaust. ....Really...!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting findings. My car is faster with the stock exhaust. ....Really...!

I had Midas put my stock exhaust back on today because the aftermarket unit was always hitting and vibrating.

I could never figure out why my friend would always pull away from me in his S4 with the same chip and a stock exhaust. Well, today I gave him a ring and invited him on a spirited drive up the coast. His car was no longer faster.

Here is what I noticed. (1) My car is definately faster off the line , 0-60 . (2) My car is slightly slower up top, 60-120 . Not much slower, but a little for sure.

So it would appear to me that the OE system is not as bad as it's made out to be. After market systems(less back pressure in general) take away some bottom end, but make up for it up top. A little more than a wash, you might say.

When the car is louder, it seems faster. But don't be fooled by the sound. It is misleading. And in terms of fit, you can't beat the stock system. No more vibration. And you know what, quiet isn't so bad.

The only down side is that the sandblaster sound is back. But I'll live with it . It's not as bad as the sound of the exhaust hitting and vibrating under the car. My two cents.
Old 09-26-2000, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i might be interested in the exhaust if you're getting rid of it. email me
Old 09-26-2000, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I will be selling it in the classified section if ur interested.
Old 09-26-2000, 04:21 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default All right, which one?

e-mail me please (responses to be kept confidential from the AudiWorld public if you desire)
Old 09-26-2000, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

please email me too!! Im about to buy one and want to make sure its not the same.
Old 09-26-2000, 04:50 PM
Elder Member

Well if it wasn't installed properly, that's probably why it didn't perform so hot.
Old 09-26-2000, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I was going to say... you might have a leak somewhere...
Old 09-26-2000, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i still might be interested. email me
Old 09-26-2000, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The performance gains are almost always up top anyway. Downpipes would add to this effect (m).

I changed mine because I thought is was too quiet stock. But any performance exhaust system with much less back pressure is bound to effect low end performance to some extent. It is only at higher RPM's that the stock exhaust will slow you down. My car is MUCH faster at high RPM with my VM2 . Down low, more backpressure can help torque sometimes, but with a turbo, it isn't as much of a problem. You will have more pre boost torque with the stock exhaust, but less HP after 4500 RPM. It really depends on what kind of driving you do, and what sound you want to achieve. I love the way the VM2 sounds. It doesn't drone at all and it blew away my Scorpion in shear performance. The Scorpion was too quiet for me as well. But the stock system is good if you like it silent,and as long as you don't mind loosing some mid and top end HP.
Old 09-26-2000, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Interesting findings. My car is faster with the stock exhaust. ....Really...!

I wasn't terribly impressed with the MTM exhaust other than the sound, until my wife pointed out that the spool time was greatly reduced. I am sure our S4 is quicker with the MTM exhaust than stock.

Quick Reply: Interesting findings. My car is faster with the stock exhaust. ....Really...!