S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

intraxMC/Koni woes - update

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intraxMC/Koni woes - update

For those of you who are interested, I think that the front springs are the problem. In my opinion, this is the only reasonable explanation for why my car is 1.25-1.5" higher in front than in rear (center cap to fender) b/c the installation is correct. By correct, I mean I have the "old" perches that fit over the aluminum bushing, and everything is put together as it should be.

Eric is shipping a new set of front springs to me, and they are going on the car on Friday. He swears that these new springs will lower my car to the proper height. I guess I'll find out on Friday. Wish me luck!

Shon

PS - many thanks to everyone for their help in figuring this out (including Eric @ SPP, Rob @ motopersona, and Rich @ dubwerks)
Old 06-19-2001, 01:38 PM

Default Mine's unfortunately worse than that...

I have permanent caster on one of my wheels. Apparently using the BFH to pound out the bolts in the control arm was not a good idea. The alignment shop (who comes highly recommended and preps race cars) said some amount of rebuilding and replacing work would need to be done to correct this. Add this to a busted washer fluid tank, and it adds up to a bad install.
Old 06-19-2001, 01:39 PM

that stinks.
Old 06-19-2001, 01:42 PM

Default Hopefully any non-warranty work will be picked up by the installer...

but either way I plan to voice my opinions on this board when the dealer is done with my car (in the shop right now for the tank). Work like this should not be allowed to occur on any other car. Of course I'll speak to the installer first and see if he is willing to 'silence' me. Afterall, does he really need bad press?
Old 06-19-2001, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks for the update, and here are my height measurements...

I will be contacting Eric about these new springs. My car is sitting 14.25" in front and 13" in the rear (from center of wheel to fender). So, it is slightly raked lower towards the rear instead of the front as it should be.

-Mike-
Old 06-19-2001, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow, that's a big difference.

But you should measure from the ground to the fender lip, that's the common measurement. I don't wanna figure out your wheel diameter ;-)

I run 25.25" on all 4 corners, or thereabouts.

-B
Old 06-19-2001, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Wow, that's a big difference.

Actually, since you're measuring from the center of the hub to the fender, you don't really need to know my wheel diameter. If I had smaller/larger wheels on the car, the distances from the center to the fender would still be the same as far as I know. This is how everyone has been telling me to measure, because it's more accurate.

But, if it makes it clearer, I'm on the OEM Avus wheels.

-Mike-
Old 06-19-2001, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Intrax springs are not defective. We dont know this for sure

We are sending out another set of springs to see if this solves the problem. We have been installing the suspensions without difficulty. The problem may be in the installation of the suspension. The new front springs have shipped to Shon and once she puts them in and gets measurements we will proceed accordingly.

Thanks for reading. Please forward any questions or concerns to: eric@supremepowerparts.com

Thanks

Eric @ SPP<ul><li><a href="http://www.supremepowerparts.com">http://www.supremepowerparts.com</a</li></ul>
Old 06-19-2001, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Mike call us and we can install a set on your car at no charge

<ul><li><a href="http://www.supremepowerparts.com">http://www.supremepowerparts.com</a</li></ul>
Old 06-19-2001, 02:25 PM
Elder Member

Default Hey Eric, here's an idea...

This concerns me still, since hopefully my suspension is showing up this week. Any way you can get one of the cars that is "right" as far as Intrax is concerned and take a ton of digital pics of the install on it, and put them on your website?

I'd feel more comfortable if the install is non-obvious (which it seems must be the case if the parts are all right but many otherwise experienced installers are getting it wrong), if I could print out a stack of pictures and show them to the installer. It could save people a lot of headaches in the future.

What build-date is Shon's car? I just want to ensure the odds are as high as possible that the install will be correct on my car before I spend the big $$$ to get them put on and get an alignment done.

Quick Reply: intraxMC/Koni woes - update