S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Just another street encounter story to end the week...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another street encounter story to end the week...

Last Saturday afternoon, I'm coming home from a doctor's appt on MacArthur northbound. It's a nicely-paved 4-lane-wide highway-like open road. I suddenly notice something silver (as well) coming up on me fast. I squint, and barely recognize the frontend of my all-time favorite Porsche, the 993. As he closes in, he courteously flashes his brights at me asking me to move aside (I'm in the #1 lane). Normally, I'd move over, but not for an opportunity like this. I downshift to 3rd just as Mr. 911 breaks right to go around me. He has the momentum on me so he pulls hard 'til we're locked in tandem. I glance over and see an older guy busting his BlueBlocker sunglasses, obviously out enjoying a cruising day. Also, I note it's a '96-97 911 Carrera 4S w/ the 911 Turbo wing, flares, and 18" inch rims. We're winding out 3rd gear and neither of us pulls. We shift into 4th almost simultaneously, and we're still locked! I'm thinking "holy ****, I'm hanging!!" We approach our exit, University Drive, which is a 2-lane embanked S-turn offramp. I hit my brakes and get behind him and then to his right, as we both swing into the first right turn. I'm on the inside, so I pull ahead. Then comes the sharp S-turn to the left, and I'm going way too fast. I clamp on my ABS, and swing hard left, breaking loose into a semi-drift and nearly colliding w/ the Porsche(almost have a heart attack in the process!). However, Mr. 911 throttles thru the turn w/o even hitting his brakes! Bastard w/ his AWD! So then we both enter the last right turn right, and I'm thinking "screw this, I'm gonna get this guy even if I have to get sideways!" I toe-heel into 2nd and open up the throttle as I crank the wheel to the right. Sure enough, my BF Goody G-Forces can't handle the load and break loose. I counter steer to regain control and mash the throttle again. I fishtail for a couple seconds as I straighten out (thank God for the M3's near perfect balance). Mr. 911 however managed a perfectly linear turn and at full throttle too!! I heard his flat-6 roaring the whole time! Anyhow, his superior traction ultimately hands him the victory of our brief confrontation through the twisties. However, his 282 hp wasn't enough to pull all 4 of his axles past me on the straight run. We hit the next light together, but I have to turn right (damn!). I look over, and Mr. 911 waves. I give him the peace sign, and I'm out. Props to Porsche's classic rear-engine layout. Obviously designed for only the best of drivers, like this old dude. Anyhow, I'm feeling good that I hung (in the straights anyway) w/ a world-class supercar like the 993.

HAPPY TGIF~