S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Just got home with Santorin/Silver...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-1999, 04:15 PM
AvramD

Default Just got home with Santorin/Silver...

I am nervous as hell. There's no doubt in my mind that I can afford this thing, but I'm just nervous to have it.

My experience with the dealer was very frustrating. They made me wait around for almost an hour, even though they've known since 8am that I would be in at 4.

They hadn't ordered my Nav CD yet. From the way the explain it, they can't order it until my car gets here. I don't know if I believe this - they've fed me other lines. Anyone out there know for sure?

My only driving impression to report so far (other than what I said after my test drive) is that I find the Xenons low beams distracting & very dangerous on backroads, specifically when they are unlit.

1) The ultra-focused beams have no vertical light dispersion whatsoever. When you go down a hill, you can't see up the next side, even if it's only 15 feet away

2) They beam pattern has angles in it - this has been discussed here before. It looks sort of like this:

+--/''||_____|

The angle in the middel between the low left & the high right is distracting. It's the most significant piece of detail in your field of vision - it looks like something in the road. Also, the rainbow colors at the perimter of the beam pattern look like road detail too.

Turning on the high beams solves the problem - they aren't focused. Personally I like to leave the high beams off when I don't need them to avoid accidentally blinding someone. I don't think that will be possible on unlit roads in this car.

I'm still to nervous to have any positives. Too much traffic on the way home from the dealer to have really enjoyed the engine or suspension. Too dark now for me to be getting used to the performance of an unfamiliar car. Hopefully I'll feel much better after a good nights sleep & some daylight driving.
Old 10-11-1999, 04:20 PM
mpm

Default Congrats Avram! And relax a little, sometimes stressing over things can cause them to happen...

About the NAV, mine came w/ a CD, and no liscensing agreement 8^o

Not sure what you mean about the lights, I find the field of vision pretty clear.

Anyway way to go, and many happy and safe drives in the future...
Old 10-11-1999, 05:26 PM
AvramD

Default Here's another shot at the xenon beam pattern pictogram...

Let's see if I've properly pre-empted the forum's html-smoothing...

+---/'''||_______|

Just went for another drive. I also noticed that even on a straight flat road, the little amound of dive you get from hitting the brakes shortens the low-beam distance to like 20 feet (just guessing). Certainly no more than 1/2 that of the distance they normally go. Too short for 40mph on a twisty road in total darkness.

What's so astounding (and frustrating) is how *totally black* the view is just *inches* past the top edge of the beam pattern.
Old 10-11-1999, 05:54 PM
joe

I will be right over to pirate the S4 from you!
Old 10-11-1999, 06:16 PM
Rick

Default Re: Here's another shot at the xenon beam pattern pictogram...

Here's an idea about focusing the headlights I have used on my '94 S4, which had similarly focussed beams. Go out to an empty, straight stretch of road with a friend, put his car a safe distance head of yours, and turn on your lights. You can adjust them up a little bit so they shine farther. The top portion of the beams has such a rapid drop-off that you can get by with a little tweaking and not blind oncoming vehicles.
Old 10-11-1999, 07:42 PM
AvramD

Default Anonymous Joe, it's off-topic.

Go to the off topic forum and anonymously be immature there.

In the mean time, if you can figure out a way to copy my car w/out depriving me of it, I'd be thrilled! I'd love to have another one to race in real rallys.
Old 10-12-1999, 01:42 AM
Kevin B

How does that color combo look in person? I have a couple weeks left ..
Old 10-12-1999, 02:27 AM
AvramD

Default I love it - I think it looks rich.

I like the contrast between the dark blue & the light - "platinum" as another forum goer called it.

I originally wanted Ecru (in an A4), and was very sad I couldn't get it. Now I'm pretty sure I like this better. I like the brightness it brings to the cockpit.

I'll get pictures as soon as I can, but it will probably be more than 2 weeks.
Old 10-12-1999, 11:00 AM
S4 in PA

Default I totally agree, Avram....

...did you see my exchange above with Peter Ryckaert? I said (in a different way) the same thing you did about the black hole above the xenon light cutoff. It IS too short for 40 mph on a winding, hilly road. So I'm using the high beams more than I did before... and they seem weak in relation to the bright whiteness of the xenons.
I'll bet we're not alone in grumping about these high tech fancy lights. Of course, I don't want to return to $3.69 sealed beams from Kmart...
Old 10-12-1999, 06:21 PM
Dale

Re: Got my Santorin/Onyx Silver Sunday...looks great!