S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Just maintenance on this car is eating all my money...found out I need new front rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just maintenance on this car is eating all my money...found out I need new front rotors and pads

all around. (60.5 k miles btw) Been researching the choices some today, but the plethora of options (and opinions) are intimidating.

Ive been looking to track my car for over a year now (as a quattro club member) but I was wait listed last year and I missed the mid ohio registration this year. Looks like december is the first one now that I can go to. I have the race pads sitting in my closet collecting dust.

So since I haven't been to the track I cant really justify looking at a BBK (right?)

Would just zimmermann slotted, some motul fluid(put in today by Induktion :-) ) , and some new pads be a good replacement to hold me over for say 2 years?

Also the pad choices are worse than the rotor options, I have no idea what to get.

I love this car, but I need a side job just to support its maintenance. (and im not even chipped)
Old 05-24-2005, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in the same boat!!! I'm really finding the Stoptech Stage 2 kit attractive right now...

I so don't know what to do.

Especially on the pads. I want equal or better bite, but less dust. I hate brake dust!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default stage 2? thats new to me.

i have some idea of the rotor options , but the pad stuff just makes me want to throw my hands up in the air.

are you going to install the upgrade yourself? Id like to do mine if its not too bad. Perhaps theres a writeup.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if you're going to track the car, no oem replacement rotor will handle the abuse...
Old 05-24-2005, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 100% positive I will track it at least once....I need a finance plan on a BBK :-)

whether or not I track it more after that first time, depends how much fun I have...but Im betting I will really enjoy it.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Check with us local guys. We should have spare rotors.

I'm sure there's plenty of spare rotors laying around that you can get since many of us have bbks. I bet it wouldnt be hard to find someone to donate their old set. You could use those for track use.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default stock brakes on track suck and don't hold up well at all...

...so if you're just trying to get by till you can afford a BBK, then get the cheapest rotors/pads you can find.

I think Pure Motorsports (www.pure-motorsport.com) has OEM replacements for $65 or Zimmerman's for $68. That's cheap.

They also have mintex red box for $74.

You can't possibly ask for cheaper then that for the S4.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep, I'll do it myself.

<ul><li><a href="https://secure3.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/product_detail.asp?CS=achtuning1&amp;RowID=1029&am p;All=">Achtuning: Stoptech Stage 2</a></li></ul>
Old 05-24-2005, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

But our stock rotors don't take well to resurfacing do they?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:20 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Just get an OEM replacement.

If you're crying about money right now, buying an aftermarket solution that really works is going to send you to the psychiatric ward.

Intermediate solutions like drilled and slotted OEM replacements usually don't offer a significant improvement over stock...at least not enough to justify the cost. My suggestion, get an OEM replacement at the cheapest price you can find it (I just got rear rotors from germanautoparts.com - very helpful and fast shipping). As far as pad choices...you're kinda limited with the front pads anyway. Not many make a pad that fits the HP2 calipers. Whatever you eventually decide on, get the matching rear set and call it a day.

Do the work yourself, and you should be able to get everything done for $400.

Don't sweat over the brakes at the track. If you roast them, then fine, fix them when you get to that bridge. The sooner you learn to work on your brakes, the more money you'll save in the long run. And if you're taking your car to the track, you really should learn to swap your pads/rotors anyway, not just to save money.

Quick Reply: Just maintenance on this car is eating all my money...found out I need new front rotors and pads