S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Long distance driving impressions on new WMS prepared Stage III.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long distance driving impressions on new WMS prepared Stage III.

Full AWE stageIII running around 20psi max boost, and mbc.

Keep in mind that I was able to Avg a 309 mile range on my first tank of gas, which included fwy traffic, short pulls, and city driving.

Altough I have not yet had the opportunity to do any logging, I was able to do some pulls under different conditions.

Left for Solvang on Friday around 1:00 with temps around 85'. Leaving from Riverside, hit the 210 with light traffic so I was able to avg+/- 80mph. Under normal driving conditions car seemed to run very smooth. Although I did hit some bumper to bumper on the 15, LWFW was not too annoying, albeit we were only on there for 10 miles. Once we hit open Fwy clutch was not even a factor.

I was able to ramp it up a few times going through Azusa, But only for short spurts due to traffic. Hit some heavy traffic in Ventura - Clutch still has some chatter in these types of conditions, but I think my technique is improving. After that, open Hwy through Santa Barbara. Once in town, I noticed some backfiring while driving through city streets, and the car seemed to restart kind of funny after a short stop and seemed to idle rough, but once I got back to hwy speed everything was back to normal.

At this point temps were around 65' and we started to hit some grades. Car pulled real nice through hills, but did notice a flat spot around 4000rpm, but only for a split second. This is the same thing that I experienced last week in Big Bear, only not as abrupt. I tried to duplicate the condition, but just like last week it only does it once and then it's gone.

On my way back home, again I was able to do some qiuck pulls through Beulton with no issues whatsoever, including the 4k burp. Some guy in a 81 Z28 tried to egg me into a drag race once we hit the flats. I think he was upset at the fact that I was able to zip passed him in the twisties. I don't know if he really had something under his hood, or if he just didn't know if I was capable, so he tried to run me for a short spurt. I didn't want to be the lead car so I just floated behind and just proceded on my journey.

Met up with a Porsche GT shortly after leaving Santa Barbara and decided to have some fun. We did a few quick pulls as he could have easily lost me, but I think he wanted to play as well. This time I was able to hammer it and I actually was able to hold up for a split second - until he downshifted and left me for dead. I was very happy with the way my car ramped up though.

After that, the rest of my drive back home I avg'd around 80mph with temps around mid 70's and no issues.

Aside from the occasional 4k burp my stage III setup seem to perform excellent as a daily driver and as a high performance vehicle. After putting around 466 miles on this trip I can say with confidence that I have the same trust for the stage III setup that I had with my stage II setup.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Former Vendor

Default Hey Max , glad you're happy with your setup man

give me a call tomorrow I want to take a look at your car sometime this week . I think you might have a bad MBC .

thanks man
Old 02-19-2007, 06:48 PM

by porsche gt do you mean a carrera gt?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:03 PM

Yup, The mack daddy Porsche.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Sorry, had to eat my steak, but yeah I'm real happy with the way the car performes. All around it's

a very civil car. Thanks for all your help Mike, I'll give you a call tomorrow.