S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

At long, long last

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-1999, 09:48 PM
DMoore

Default At long, long last

Car was a week 34 build, arrived today in Newport Beach. I got the call about 2:00 pm - left work early, 1 1/2 hour drive through heavy traffic, arrived at dealer about 5:30. Deal had been cut for MSRP, but that left plenty of room to argue about my trade in. It was a '98 A4 2.8 Qtip in great shape, but it had 53K miles. I'm sure I got screwed, but oh well. I got $1500 more for it than I owed, so at least I wasn't upside down.

The car is white, onyx leather, convenience, Bose, and winter packages. Nothing much to add to all the other glowing S4 reports, but I was sure impressed the first time I leaned on the gas pedal. Using no more than 3/4 throttle, if that, and leaving it in 6th, it went from 65 to 85 noticeably faster than my A4 did when floored. Once broken in, this car is going to be a great drive on the two lane stretches of 395 through the desert.

DMoore
'00 S4M finally!
Old 10-18-1999, 10:02 PM
occam

Default Special paint job?

Dave,

how is your "special paint job"? Is it the fabled Pearl (?) White?

Hope you're enjoying your car. I just found out my car is build week 46 (doh)! :-)

= Joe =
Old 10-19-1999, 05:13 AM
mrw

white? post a pic!
Old 10-19-1999, 06:28 AM
Tommy T

Default What did you get for your trade?

I have a 98 A4QM with 56K that I'm trying to trade in on an S4.

TT
Old 12-11-1999, 09:35 PM
Yellow S4 in N. VA.-TRB

Default Just installed & tested my Digital Startac- yes, it's working "handsfree"

Here's the scoop. In my car (no nav)the phone uses the funny little "extra" speaker in the drivers door. Yes, as stated by someone else in this thread, the mic is in the courtesy light module. That mic will NOT (as installed) work with a digital Startac. (Others in this forum have quite correctly stated this). I replaced the Audi mic module with one that was compatible with my Startac. Now, for the interesting part, I used the same RS-232 (in the trunk) sized adapter and "mute" switch box that I made for my '98 A4. It was plug'n play. The phone works great! CAUTION here, I am refering to my car only, I am not suggesting anyone try this!. But for mine at least, the A4 wiring diagrams (Audiworld FAQ's) for phone interface would seem to be accurate for the S4. What I have not done is to get the "Mute" to be automatic so I still have to manually throw the switch to answer the phone... more when that problem is solved... Hey, Motorola guy,if your reading this, do know which pin goes low (or high) when the Startac goes "active"??? Thanks TRB
Old 12-12-1999, 12:59 AM
Jim De Arras

Default I'm sure the hands free "box" has an output mute signal somewhere

to keep the speaker silent when not on a call. I'm carting my scope out to the car this morning, to find it!

If not, I'll cobble together some sort of "vox" detector, that generates a signal when audio is present on the output.
Old 12-12-1999, 08:14 AM
Yellow S4 in N. VA.-TRB

Default More on Startac

Just to clairify, I am using a switch that pulls the "mute" line low... it works perfectly, it kills the speakers audio and puts "PHONE" on the radio display. What I have not been able to do is this: find the signal is on the Startac that on an incoming call gives some sort of logic change. I want to use this signal to automatically (interface circuit maybe needed) trigger the "MUTE" so I don't have to push that little switch I made! Like you said the VOX circuit is possible but it's my last resort.