S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Miss while at constant speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm betting its an ICM or a boot connecter.

When you said you changed the coil pack did you change just the coil and reuse the old boot connecter or was the boot connecter new as well?

The boot connecters can sometimes cause misfires. I had it happen with my A4. Experienced a misfire on cyl 2 first tried a new plug.. didn't end up fixing it. Moved cyl 2 coil to cyl 1 - misfire moved as well.

I figured it was a bad coil so I bought just the coil pack (no boot connecter).

Upon installation I still had a misfire on cyl 2 so I swapped a good ICM with mine - no luck.

Last thing I tried was swapping the boot connecter and thats what ended up being the culprit.

Good luck!

Jason
Old 05-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swapped the ICM's now the main misfires are on 2,4,6 and once on 5 but that's just while parked. Ill swap them back and see what happens.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are the ICM's connected together or grounded together through the metal plate they are bolted to on the airbox?

I cleaned the plates conductive paste? under them in hopes the sensors are connected somehow through the metal plate. my car drove fine and seemed to have more power for ten miles and i noticed it but not as bad as I ended the trip.

Maybe put some thermal compound under them hoping they would connect to the plate under them more?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I let it sit for 40 mins went and drove it again. It was fine for 15 or so miles then it started again and got worse from there. So I am thinking its the ICMs they look original and maybe when they heat up they start to malfunction?

I logged one misfire on cylinder 5 while driving (the only replaced coil) while the car was running without noticeable misses, then 15 mins (15 miles) later I could notice it completely like before.

So messing with the ICM's seemed to make the car work for 10 or 15 miles and then the problem comes back?

I called the dealer and they were $205.00 per
Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by normohl
I let it sit for 40 mins went and drove it again. It was fine for 15 or so miles then it started again and got worse from there. So I am thinking its the ICMs they look original and maybe when they heat up they start to malfunction?

I logged one misfire on cylinder 5 while driving (the only replaced coil) while the car was running without noticeable misses, then 15 mins (15 miles) later I could notice it completely like before.

So messing with the ICM's seemed to make the car work for 10 or 15 miles and then the problem comes back?

I have used the HUCO aftermarket brand ICMs successfully. Much less expensive. Remember to use lots of dielectric grease on the base for cooling. The base does not ground the ICMs, the engine control unit controls each firing circuit to ground.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by normohl

205 for the icm? man... good thing I check ebay on everything I do.
Sold 35, thats good...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Then there's this one, but costs more

Then there's this other one, was more but now on sale.. why, haven't got a clue. Seems odd thou.

Hopefully get to order mine this week, along with new coils all around.

Chris
Old 05-11-2011, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ah ha!

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
I have used the HUCO aftermarket brand ICMs successfully. Much less expensive. Remember to use lots of dielectric grease on the base for cooling. The base does not ground the ICMs, the engine control unit controls each firing circuit to ground.
so that's what that stuff was... had a feeling it might be dielectric grease. I didn't remove it though, when cleaning the ICM's.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We have BERU ICM's available below at a very competitive price check them out below!

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

does anyone know if the problem I am describing sounds like the ICM's. Do they get worse when they heat up, like i was describing, I am guessing they are sinked to the metal plate under them in order to carry away heat? When they heat up they malfunction more?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I drove it today and it was missing from the get go, I put some dielectric grease under the sensors and still the same problems. So I have no idea.

How much would it cost to take it into somewhere to tell me whats wrong with it?

Quick Reply: Miss while at constant speed