S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

MTM vs. APR chips

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-1999, 08:40 PM
RM

Default Re: MTM vs. APR chips

Maybe its you that doesn't know how to drive a turbo .

I really think most anyone can drive, turbo or normally aspirated. It driving well that is the challenge.

I've been driving turbo's since 1989 when I bought my first Porsche 944 Turbo. I've bought two more since, but I sold one a few years ago.

The first one is now mostly a track car. It has the 6 point harness, racing seat, full coilover race type suspension and all solid bushing. It is also approximately 400 rear wheel HP.

I'm not a great driver, but I'm better that most people without track experience. I do notice nuances in power delivery more than most, especially in a turbo engine.

If you are happy with your APR chip I am happy for you and you should report your experiences with the chip on this list. That is what this open forum is about, sharing information in our common interests.

If you read enough opinions about a product, then you can filter through them and make your own decision, but it helps hearing what others experience with similar products.

I liked dealing with APR (probably more than with Hoppen). They are very easy to reach and very helpful. I would not hesitate to buy a different product from them in the future. I even reached them on a Sunday. I was offered the new revision of their chip but refused. I had become convinced by others on this list that MTM was the better chip. From my short experience driving with this chip I feel that it probably is.

I will report back again when I have more experience driving with this chip and as I said it will only be another opinion.
Old 12-09-1999, 01:18 AM
S4some

Default What about Garrett, TAP & Neuspeed?

So many chips to choose from yet some of us are confused. I guess it boils down to $$ (MTM), quality, performance & finally results (which seem to be similar). I see MTM & APR mentioned more often than the ones I've mentioned. Any reason why not? Thanks...
Old 12-09-1999, 07:35 AM
Y2K S4

Default One reason is that Garrett and Neuspeed (not sure about TAP)...

...haven't released their S4 chips yet.