S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My Car is a MAGNET for road debris...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2000, 05:44 PM
BIll D

Default My Car is a MAGNET for road debris...

I have never had as much bad luck with road debris as I have in the last few months...and especially in the last week...

The second week I owned my S4 a truck in front of me tossed up a board which put a nick in my headlight and a scratch on my hood.

Last thursday a pickup truck in front of me lost a hubcap which proceeded to smash into my front bumper and knock out the right vent..as well as badly scratching the bottom of the bumper

On Tuesday I ran over a hubcap on the highway and nicked my wheel and got a flat...

Understand that I am quite **** about my car, so driving around with a missing vent and mismatched wheels is pure torment.

5 days for the tire and presumably longer for the vent as S4 parts are scarce. Good ol' Oscar at park place ordered me up another vent the same day. I've been stressing about repainting anything. Nogaro seems like a hard color to match perfectly...
Old 01-19-2000, 05:57 PM
BOBP

IMHO,seems to me you need to back off ,following too close maybe,more reaction time..
Old 01-19-2000, 06:04 PM
Bill D

Default The Two trucks were both in different lanes. Hubcap was my own lapse, no one in front.

I drive the same as I always have. It's just bad luck. I miss much more road debris than I will ever hit, but when it is projected towards you it is kind of hard.
Old 01-19-2000, 06:07 PM
BOBP

I can empathize,had a '95 SVX with more cosmetic damage the first 6 mos than ALL cars previous!
Old 01-20-2000, 08:11 AM
Tristan

I had the trunk of my Nogaro repainted. It matches great IMO. They should be able to match the vent
Old 01-20-2000, 12:05 PM
David

Default IMHO,some cars are just cursed and you can back off all you want...

...and the damndest things will find you and hit you.

Parking lots and windy days are a very dangerous combination. (A cart blew into my truck scratching down the entire driver's side, even so I parked at least 20 spaces away from any other vehicle.)

So are all home improvement super mart store parking lots even on nice days. (Some jerk scratched the back of my truck with a 2x4 and didn't have the guts to take responsibility for it.)

Streets in front of your house can pose threats as well. (My driver's side rear-view mirror was literally torn off and in a million pieces all over the road--again, no one leaving a note taking responsibility.)

And, finally, people spray painting something outside in the open air should be avoided like the plague. (The entire front of my truck is speckled with some sort of paint that will not come off without sanding down the clear coat and repainting the ENTIRE hood, left and right quarter panels, the front portion of the top, and sanding and polishing the bumper. I have no idea how this happened, but I recall parking near a store front that was being repainted. That's the best explanation I can come up with for the paint flecks.)

So, as you can see, having owned a cursed vehicle, I know this to be true. :-) Thank god (knock on wood) my S4 hasn't been cursed -- yet!!

-- David
2000 Silver S4