S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My monster engine tried to jump out of my engine bay! Need RS4 engine mounts ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 07:02 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My monster engine tried to jump out of my engine bay! Need RS4 engine mounts ASAP!

I decided to head to the drag strip tonight. Temperatures were in the 50's and it wasn't wet outside, and it's close to the time of year where it starts to warm up in Houston, so if I wanted to go and get a decent time, I figured tonight was the night.

I get to the strip and let my car cool about 45 minutes before my first run. I give it about a 2800rpm launch, tag a pretty decent (for me) 1.90 60', and rack up a 13.0@110 with conservative shifts and a car that I could tell had more to offer than what I felt out on that run. Plus I figure the gallon of 104 I had just added to the ~2.5 gallons of 93 in the tank probably hadn't even hit the engine yet, since my car only had a few minutes of idling since I had put it in.

Next time up, I get to line up against an Evo and figure that will be fun. I launch harder, this time around 3400rpm and things didn't feel so right. The Evo had launched a few tenths before me so it was in front. When I hit second gear and we were only running even, I really knew something wasn't right. Third gear came and the Evo started to pull away. My car felt slow. Boost guage shows only 7psi, so I assumed I was in limp mode. I lifted the throttle for a second then put it down again, but I still only had 7psi. I still ran a 14.2@93. The Evo beat me by about 4 car lengths. Then I go for brakes, and there is no brake boost. I put down about a hundred pounds of brake force and only get moderate braking. Ruh-roh!

Anyway I limp back to the pits and pop the hood. I hear a big vacuum leak which is confirmed by my boost gauge. I find the leak at the big vacuum line that goes through the firewall to the brake booster. The line has completely popped out. I can't seem to get it to fit back in place because that little rubber thingamajiggy that sticks off the back of the Y-pipe is in the way. I can't seem to figure out how that could be in the way now if it wasn't in the way before. A little more investigation leads me to the conclusion that my entire motor is sitting up higher in the engine bay than it was before. I didn't dig around underneath in the dark, but I guess that means it jumped off its engine mounts somehow, and then knocked that vacuum line out of the double-female rubber grommet that passes through the firewall. I manage to wedge it back together so it's only leaking slightly and decide to just drive home.

I almost got my car stuck in reverse gear as when I put in to back up, I couldn't get it out until I had fidgeted with it quite some time. I guess things are out of alignment down there too. Shifting forward gears worked fine though. I'll see what I can see in the morning. I couldn't even put the hood all of the way down.

Now, where to get RS4 engine mounts? Preferably somewhere that can ship them out Saturday...

What's so terrible is that I still have never run a timed 12-second 1/4. It would have been a lock in subequent runs tonight. With some luck I might have even gotten a 12.5 (with pretty much full weight (no spare) and almost pump gas). I doubt I'll get back to the strip to try until at least November now.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shoot me an e-mail.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Nice first run, esp. considering the gas!

I broke my motor mounts while drag racing too... I'm sure you've got some great times ahead of you when you return :-)
Old 02-11-2005, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jumpin out of your pants huh?
Old 02-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Elder Member

Ouch, sorry to hear.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds like you need DTS and snub, to protect the new mounts

ECS tuning has the RS4 mounts.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:20 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pictures (x-post to new post above)

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1906423.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1906423.phtml</a</li></ul>