S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My S4 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-1999, 05:32 AM
Dreed

Default My S4 Test Drive

I have read all the posts about the performance, and those who beat on the test cars and I think everyone here has heard enough about the performance from a speed and handling aspect. I am going to touch on the finer points. Currently I drive a VW VR6, and plan to drive it until the end of next year, when I will finally make my choice. I had always been a fan of the M3, I have test driven it many times and love the pure feel of the car. Now that I live in Boston, everyone and their mother has an M3, even the kids (and being only 23, for me to say kids, they are pretty young!). I have done a lot of research on the S4 (as much as was available) and have read the posts and thank all of you for your idea/comments/concerns/warnings.

I showed up for the test drive last night. I had seen the S4 before, my VW, Audi dealer has had three of them (all sold) but this would be my first drive. The dealer had the demo parked right next to another A4, and while the differences were subtle, they were definitely there. The color was the hibiscus red and interior black. Personally, I would go for silver for as an owner of a dark car, I know how much of a pain the butt dark cars are to keep clean. Anyway.. on to the drive.

The first thing that I noticed as the salesman drove me off the lot was how fast we were all the sudden going. The M3 throws you in the seat, and while the S4 can do the same, it seems to carry it self better, meaning, the acceleration is a bit smoother and the unnoticed. The ride is real smooth, but most new cars in the $30’s and $40’s are smooth when brand new. When we switched and I got the helm, the first thing that I noticed was the room. I am about 6’1” and weigh about 250lbs, and the car was very spacious for me and I felt VERY comfortable. The red instrumentation is great (coming from the silver gauges on the VR6, which I love). I had to get used to the fact that the TACH and SPEEDOMETER are switched, but that was easy. I will admit, I never pushed the car past 5000RPM. I noticed that 1st gear disappears very quickly. The next thing that I noticed is the suspension. For any of you that live in/around Boston, you understand when I say that there are no nice roads around the city that are in perfect shape. The winters destroy the roads and cars pay for it with bumps and potholes. The S4 adjusted to the road very well.

I love the Xenon headlamps, but people were flashing me as they passed as if the High Beams were on (which they weren’t) which told me that the people need to see more cars with the Xenon lights to get used to them.

The seats are great, not quite as stiff as those in the M, but that is a good thing. The other thing that I noticed was the amount of amenities that the S4 has. The overall fit and finish of the Audi (any model) is great, and they have continued the trend with the S4

Overall, as you can see.. I love the S4 and would like to pick one up off the 2001 model year, if there is one in the US.
Old 10-13-1999, 05:56 AM
mpm

Default Is that's the Hybiscus car at Clair where the deal fell through?

...yeah I love the woooosh of these turbo's, verses the bang of the M3. And compaired to the 911turbo which feels more like an on switch (more akin to the look of M. Fox in "Back to the Future"), the S4 is like BUDDER
Old 10-13-1999, 06:16 AM
Dreed

yup, the would be the car