S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My Winter Tires (P-210A: 225x45x17) - HUGE DIFFERENCE

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2000, 08:07 AM
Jared

Default My Winter Tires (P-210A: 225x45x17) - HUGE DIFFERENCE

Well after a a few inches of snow hit ground here in NY, I got a pretty good of why Audi specifies in quite a few places to GET WINTER TIRES.

The car with stock tires, was absolutly scary to drive. Turning was an event in itself, and even going straight sometimes yielded sideways movement under all levels of acceleration. The stock tires just would not stick!

Stopping the car was a bad experience as well. Even allowing a good 150-200ft for 20 mph to stop, left ABS pulsing away, with minimal speed loss.

With all this in mind, I decided to dismount a set of Pirelli 210A 225x45x17s that I had on a set of winter rims from my 97 M3. I slapped those tires right onto the stock rims, and proceeded to find a still unplowed parking lot.

The P210As make a HUGE difference. The car now sticks to the road/snow/packed snow under straight and turning scenarios. Stopping distance has been dramatically reduced as well. The S4s quattro system really shines with these tires on for the winter.

Any questions, let me know.

Jared

00 S4 Onyx/Silver (WINTER EQUIPPED)
Old 01-23-2000, 08:19 AM
BOBP

Jared,thanx for the info.
Old 01-23-2000, 08:44 AM
Karaya One

Default Bridgestone Potenza winter review

I had the same problems during our last snow-fall.

After calling several (over 10) tire dealers, they all said the same thing:

"The Bridgestone Potenza's are dangerous tires in cold weather, especially the snow."

From the feedback, it appears that most, if not all, of the Potenza's are not liked by people in cold climates.

Good move to install the snow tires. Personally, I am going to step down and get an all weather high performance tire.

The Michelin Pilot XGT Z4's seem tough to find in my area so I will probably end up with the Pirelli P7000 Super Sports.

Enjoy and drive safely.

K1
Old 01-23-2000, 11:07 AM
DJL

Default Help: Similar Experience; Different conclusion

Having same experience as Jared, I to switched same tires (also previously on M3) to factory rims yesterday and was equally pleased with results.
Unfortunately I came out this morning to a flat and have now discovered it is a slice in the inside sidewall.
The problem is I don't have a spare Pirelli Winter 210A 225/45/17 and am having a diffacult time locating one.
Will I damage car, temporarily driving 3 snows and 1 factory tire (in process of RTFM). If so do I know switch all back to factory tire which were totally unacceptable in snow. Look for new set different make or size (expensive given 3 perfect snows with no wear). Goto "high performance" all seasons (given mild NJ winters) and forget all these headaches....HELP
Old 01-23-2000, 12:01 PM
John

Default Think again before you go Pirelli 7000 SS

I checked the tire rack. Not much in the way of all season for the stock size except for Pirelli. It looks like you have to go summer compound and winter snow tires. There is no good all season choice in 225/45 ZR 17

Although some have said the P7000 SS is acceptable, very many have said the performance is bad and the noise really kicks in after 15K miles. The Audi S4 is a great car. It deserves good tires. Pass on the Pirellis

Flame suit zipped up
Old 01-23-2000, 12:23 PM
Jared

Be carefull of stepping down in tire performance, tires can make a big difference in the handling.
Old 01-23-2000, 01:34 PM
DMoore

Default Tire diameter same, so shouldn't be a problem, except...

that one corner isn't going to have the traction of the other three. I wouldn't worry about problems caused by the tire to the car, but I'd be pretty careful driving until I got it replaced. It sure seems to me like you'll be ahead leaving three snow tires on, rather than replacing them all with the stock tires. You'll still have more traction with 3 snow tires than with none.

DMoore
'00 S4
Old 01-23-2000, 01:41 PM
DJL

Default Re: Tire diameter same, so shouldn't be a problem, except...

Thanks....couldn't decide if it would damage quattro....
Old 01-23-2000, 02:00 PM
DJL

Default Re: Think again before you go Pirelli 7000 SS

Definately undecided;; but also having diffacult time finding replacement for trashed snow.
Old 01-23-2000, 02:32 PM
Chicago Joe

What about P-Zeros?

Quick Reply: My Winter Tires (P-210A: 225x45x17) - HUGE DIFFERENCE