S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Nav system disappointments (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-1999, 01:31 PM
Tommy T

Default I've noticed that there's a LOT more detail for locations in the NYC metro area than there is for

the Albany area, so I'm guessing that the database on each CD is not uniform in detail for every region. Without knowing anything about your area, I wonder if the road density here is so much greater that the Nav system gets too many choices?

Tommy T
Old 11-11-1999, 01:33 PM
Tommy T

Default OK, maybe just a tiny bit of offense taken, but the rest of the review is still (I hope) useful.

Hopefully the point by point review of the nav will be useful to someone.
Old 11-11-1999, 01:55 PM
S4andy

Default Not sure what the little booklet says for your region. . .

and in fact, I think the booklet (the one that came with the CD, not the manual) is generic for all regions. It does say that density of information for various parts of my area (Region 2, Northwest/Southwest US) is highly variable and there are many parts of the region where only major highways are in the database.

Sandy
'00 S4
Old 11-11-1999, 01:56 PM
mm

Default Sorry!

I should have been more sensitive in my own assessment of your review. You make some good points about user friendliness and usability, and your post does include a lot of information which will be undoubtedly useful to others.

Sounds like the nav system manual is pretty bad from what you and others have said. I gather that the system is a little hard to learn but will probably be useful given a proper understanding of its operation. Hope you have better luck with it in the future. Let us know if your backroads problem continues or if it was just a result of inadvertently being in the "wrong" mode.
Old 11-11-1999, 01:58 PM
mm

You are definitely right, my post was way too harsh. Sorry again, don't know where that came from!
Old 11-11-1999, 02:05 PM
Tommy T

Default Not a problem at all. I'll fiddle with it a little more this weekend and give an update. And ...

Thanks for being good enough to say you're sorry it really went a long way and raised my opinion of fellow A4.orgers (will the censors throw that out?) yet again.

Tommy T
Old 11-11-1999, 02:08 PM
KING OF ALL S4's

Enough of this crying crap, 'sorry this and that', get back to solving the nav system
Old 11-11-1999, 02:08 PM
Tommy T

Default The booklet with the CD was little more than an overview of the CD choices...

The Nav manual I got with the car has more detail, but the out of date pics etc. I'll work on this some more over the weekend, become a nav god and repost a glowing review. Or maybe I'll sit around, watch the Bills game (I know, I know) and let 250 pounding horsepower go to waste.

NOT!

Tommy T
00 S4 (250HP/Xenons/and maybe, just maybe Nav)
Old 11-11-1999, 02:10 PM
Tommy T

Thanks for the giggle, your majesty. I'm attaching the nav to an unladen african swallow right now.
Old 11-11-1999, 02:16 PM
mm

How you've really hurt my feelings AND offended me as well. Sniff, wimper, sniff... ;p

Quick Reply: Nav system disappointments (long)