S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need help with lowering spring install

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with lowering spring install

I have already finished with the rears but the fronts are turning into a PITA I am using a write up in the suspension tech articles for coil overs, but I am stuck on this part i can not get the bolt to come out. The following is the step...

3. Pick a side, and get started by removing the bolt holding the upper control links to the suspension upright (or bearing carrier, or whatever you want to call it--the big part that the wheel attaches to). 16mm.

4. Pop both of the link ends out of the upright. You will probably have to use a hammer and punch to get them out. They're under tension from the bushings at the other end, so they will spring up a bit when they come out. The upright/hub/brake is loose from here on out, so try to keep it from knocking around too much.

...I can not get the bolt out for the life of me, if anybody has any sort of advice disperse it now please, i would like to get this finished and get an alignment done and get my s4 back on the road.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Former Vendor

Default You're not alone..

Search for Pinch Bolt, and you'll find dozens of different methods and techniques people have used to break that bolt loose.
None of them are easy, and will require LOTS of energy.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:29 AM

2nd.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default spray them with some oil, let it soak for 10 mins or so, then rachet the bolts loose so the oil

soaks into the bolt as u turn it, once it starts spinning somewhat free, thread the nut over to just the top of the tip so you can hammer on it "lightly" without damage'n the end of the bolt "mushroom'n the head"
once you hammer it flush with the nut to the spindle, use a punch that is smaller than the bolt itself so it can push the bolt through, once you get it slide'n out some it gets easier

hope this helps
Old 07-23-2007, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It can be done without removing the pinch bolt.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

how???
Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 AM

stfa =p try to get the pinch bolt out first, though - much easier.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:32 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It's not clear in the article, but it mentions both ways of getting the front shock out.

After step 5, there is a note about the 2 methods to do this. Steps 6 and 7 are an alternative to steps 3 and 4.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update!!!

Well it is now 1am and me and a friend have just finished wrenching, we started at 10pm after work, thanks to lots of hammering the driver side pinch bolt is out in one piece, but the head is stripped, also i discovered that i will need 2 new upper control arms (BTW where can I find these for cheap, or does anyone sell the bushings by themselves???). On the Passenger side the pinch bolt head was twisted off, the head twisted many times before it was broken, then the washer trick was attempted to pull the bolt through the other side but that had also failed when the bolt twisted off that end as well. Now the bolt is stuck, and will need to be drilled out unless there are any other ideas out there. I also need at least 1 upper control arm on this side as well, this is turning into quite an expensive project .
-Roman
Old 07-23-2007, 10:29 PM

a 2-arm gear puller has worked for me on 1 or 2 of those bolts.

Quick Reply: Need help with lowering spring install