S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need help with overspray on my trade in toward an S4...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-1999, 09:53 AM
PeteW

Default Need help with overspray on my trade in toward an S4...

So my trade in car toward my S4 (picking up next week) was in the BMW shop for the third time, fixing the damage that they (the service department) did. This time it comes back with clearcoat overspray on it, one section worse than others. This is my plan this weekend:

1)3M Imperial glaze pre-wax cleaner (using orbital buffer)
2) Meguires Glaze
3) Blitz Wax

Any other suggestions? I have to do this, this weekend and dont have the time to find someone to wet sand it. I cannot take it back to this BMW dealer because they are just not qualified to work on any cars at all. THEY ARE COMPLETE MORONS. Any other products you would use to take off overspray? The worst section is where the guy put his can on the car before spraying and took it off, after spraying. It left a nice ring on the roof. I hope the paint went in his drink and he drank all of it. Please, suggestions from positive experiences only!

-PeteW
Old 10-15-1999, 10:20 AM
Steve S.

Mother's Clay Bar - excellent for overspray
Old 10-15-1999, 10:29 AM
PeteW

Default Re: Mother's Clay Bar - excellent for overspray

Steve,

You have to tell me, is it hard to use. I am no dope when it comes to taking care of paint (other than subjecting it to that particular service department). There is alot of overspray. How many clay bars would you purchase and can you give me a synopsis of the directions?

Thanks,

-PeteW
Old 10-15-1999, 12:29 PM
steve l o

Default Having used the clay bar as well...

It's pretty simple. The bar comes with the quick detailer as the lubricant. It states on the box the one clay bar will do 3-4 average sized cars. Directions are simple:
Spray area to be cleaned with detailer spray. Use clay bar in light, even strokes to clean area sprayed with detailer spray. Wipe off excess spray with clean, soft cloth. Fold the clay bar and move on to the next area. If an area still feals "gritty", do it again.
I detailed our 1995 Jetta in a little over 45 minutes. That's the entire car with the clay bar. It took much less time than the Xymol treatment I used on it when first purchased. The clay bar makes it much quicker and easier.

Worth it IMHO..

Steve L O
Old 10-15-1999, 03:32 PM
Steve S.

Default And then.....

And then put a nice glaze on the car......and then a nice carnuba wax. 3 hours later....with sorre forearms....you are done.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM

P.S. Only one additional comment...only do the clay bar process on a small section of
the car at a time(ie. half of hood....left front fender....the two doors together...left rear
quarter panel...trunk lit...each of these should be done separately).
Old 10-15-1999, 04:43 PM
Steve l o

yea, what he said