S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

New (B6) A4 1.8T vs Used (B5) S4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (B6) A4 1.8T vs Used (B5) S4?

Greetings all.

I was recently involved in an accident where my Volvo 850 was murdered by an 18-wheeler. So I am now looking for a replacement, and having been a big Audi fan for some time (my first car was teh Audi 5000) they are are the top of my list. Now looking at the model and the prices they are going for I figure that I could get either a new A4 1.8T or a used(certified pre-owned) S4. Now I realize that these are almost two completely different cars as far as how they drive and I not test drove the S4 yet, but I am just wondering what people here think of the two cars. I will be leasing the car so mods are out of the question, but speed isn't a big factor.

My sister has the A4 1.8T and I think it drives really well, however I do like the design of the B5 better then then new B6. But looking at the S4 and the new A4, I can get a fully loaded S for less then a new A4 and get a lot more "sport." Now while I'm not as concered about 0-60 and off the line times, but I am very concerned as to road handling and things like that.

How do these two models (the S B5 and A B6) compare? How is the safety of the two? Thank you, any information is much appreciated!
Old 03-20-2003, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default With this being a S4 forum....

we will all say get a S4, S4s with decent mileage are going for about 30k-35k. If you like the B5 style more, what is there to discuss?
Old 03-20-2003, 09:18 PM

Be nice to the n00b, D!!
Old 03-20-2003, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am jacka$$....

now stop hijacking his thread.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:23 PM

Default I guess I mean this to be more of a B5 vs B6 comparison

Discussion is mostly safety and body structure. Coming from a Volvo and an accident where the car flipped several times and I walked away almost fine, safety is a huge factor. As far as structure, the my old Volvo rattled over ever bump, and I'm just wondering more or less if there is any difference in the two platforms besides the obvious appearance and from what I hear back seat space. Is one more "solid" then the other? I do understand that a used car may have a rattle that a new car won't, but I have never driven a B5 so I do not know how the feel is so I'm just looking for any advice you all might have. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Go drive some used S4s, used cars depend on the previous owner...

and what they did with them, new cars are always good. :- )
Old 03-20-2003, 10:32 PM

Default Do you plan to keep the car for long???

That will make all the difference. An used S4 that cost less than an new A4 would have at least 40k miles on it and most in the form will tell you that the turbos will not last very long after 100k. Furthermore, no factory warranty for you.

Handling will be a bit sharper in the S4 but ride quite harsher. The interior is nicer in the A4 with more space especially in the rear where a average adult would feel very cramp and have to sit upright.
There is, however, no contest in power and the respect of fellow motorist at stoplight
Old 03-20-2003, 10:41 PM

Default Re: New (B6) A4 1.8T vs Used (B5) S4?

Audi claims a 40% increase in body stiffness of the B6 over the B5. Further research showed that it is indeed B6 over B5, not B5.5. Since all US S4 are B5.5, and B5.5 to B5 was more than 25% increase in rigidity, the difference is marginal. Safety should be on par in B6 and B5.5. The B6 is heavier, and my personal experience is that is shows a lot in terms of turn-in and cornering. However, other forum members have reported the opposite. Maybe I just had two bad B6 in a row as loaners. The 1.8T has a very hard time with the heavy B6 body. I must admit that it is more luxurious, although I do not at all like B6 interior or exterior. For me it is no question to go for the S4. Depending on the dealer and the previous owner the car may be in decent shape; however, I would not bet on it. On the other hand side, an incapable dealer can screw up a B6 A4 as well as an B5 S4. The B5 S4 has way more potential in basically any topic.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Do you plan to keep the car for long???

I am planning on leasing the car (certified pre-owened if I chose the S4) and would most likely turn it in at the end of lease. I have heard of problems with turbos in Volvos and Saabs and I'm sure its true with any turbo due to the extra strain on the car. The dealer who I have contacted has said the turbo's should hold up, but then again I was not expecting him to say otherwise. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I went through making those same thoughts...

In the end, I decided I would just want an S if I bought the A4, so I went with what I really wanted. My brother-in-law has a B6 1.8T, and we both have spent time in both cars. His car is way underpowered. Otherwise the fit of the newer car is a little better. Personally, I like the B5 styling better. I bought a 6spd and am learning how to drive stick. I don't regret my decission at all. Buy an '01.5 / '02 S4 CPO and keep it until the warrantee goes if you're really worried about turbo failure.

Quick Reply: New (B6) A4 1.8T vs Used (B5) S4?