S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

New M3 not what its cracked up to be :-) (more)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New M3 not what its cracked up to be :-) (more)

I am driving down the road, and what do I see? A nasty smurf blue M3 in my rearview mirror. He is in the other lane as I am in the right lane. A stoplight happens to be right up the road, and it was red. So from a dead even start, I didn't think he was even going to race, so at first I had no plans on running him until the light turned green, and he started spinning his tires and he jumped out. I didn't even launch the car, so he immediately got maybe 1/2 - 1 car length, as soon as he went to shift from 1-2, his rear end broke loose again, this is where I began to actually catch upto him. As we were going down the road, I kept reeling him in to the point where I began to pass him. Traffic was upcoming so I had to let off, but I will say, a chipped S4(with stock exhaust) will run with this thing (305hp vs 333hp, and 300lbs heavier? Hmm(gotta love torque). I definetly think a stage 3 setup(or apr 2+) will leave this car in your rear view mirror. Happy hunting :-)
Old 04-28-2001, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What Chip do you have, MTM, APR?
Old 04-28-2001, 02:26 PM

Default They are very quick - gotta' a ride in one today...

all I can say is you better be serious about it if you're gonna' street race.

the driver who took me for a spin has quite a few years of race experience and he handled this thing exceptionally well.

even though the turbo lag in the S4 is minimal, it will still hinder you against this car...it has no lag, and is quite powerful at low revs. it also has a very short through, unlike the stock S4.

where it really perormed was in the twisty back roads we were on. he drove in a manner that i was sure would have sent us into oversteer given a rear wheel drive car. but it really stuck to the road. of course the ride was less than cushy when compared to an S4.

personally i still prefer my S4. i think the body styling of the S4 is more pleasing. the interior of the S4 is well above the M3 level. i would even say that the new M3 styling is less attractive than the E36 version, having driven several of those. i think i got a lot more for my dollar with the S4.

one thing though, the M3 sounds absolutely evil. i have never heard any other streetable car with such a raspy/scary exhaust...very cool!

in summary i think the new M3 is more suited to comparisons with sportscars like the Vette and Porsche, rather than a camparison with a luxury sport sedan like the S4. it's really quite a different car - more of a true sportscar.
Old 04-28-2001, 02:34 PM

Nice going!! One correction, though: S4 isn't 300 pounds heavier...curb weight of E46 M3 is 3450.
Old 04-28-2001, 02:52 PM

Default Speaking of bang per buck, being under the age of 25...

...the S4 is the fastest car I can get with low insurance rates (relatively speaking). ///M rate is twice the charge of the S.
Old 04-28-2001, 04:04 PM

Default I saw a silver one last night........i think that i'm going to have to

buy one...
Old 04-28-2001, 04:11 PM

Young Jedi, you must resist the lure of the Dark Side ... ;-)
Old 04-28-2001, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Why, so Walter can beat you ever day? Sure you want to do that?
Old 04-28-2001, 06:06 PM

Default I just sat in a new M3 today; there is more front seat legroom than in my S4; also, cloth seats are

available as leather with cloth inserts, similar to alcantara inserts in the S4.

Frankly, the seats in the new M3 are far more comfortable (for me anyways) than in my S4.

There is more front seat leg-room in the M3 (for us taller folks).

Although the M3 is a much different car than the S4, I will consider buying an M3 as a second car, and much of that is based on the comfort of the front seats, and the front leg-room, and the cloth seat availability.
Old 04-28-2001, 08:22 PM

Default Easy Jedi knight...sounds like an experienced driver would have schooled you!

To keep things fair you've gotta compare stock to stock. Your modded S4 vs. a stock M3 is not a fair comparison. Stock vs. stock or modded vs. modded is a more responsible debate. And in either scenario, you would have been looking at taillights. Hands down the M3 is a "faster" car...get over it...if you wanted a fast stop light to stop light car you probably would have bought a Camaro and then slapped on a supercharger. But you didn't and that says allot (and that's good).

Do you really think the new M3 owner is any different then you?? He's not going to leave well enough alone either, he'll be modding and you'll be loosing...

Quick Reply: New M3 not what its cracked up to be :-) (more)