S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

New rotors in car = $0 and almost 3 hours; New back tire in bike = $700+ and 3 hours...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New rotors in car = $0 and almost 3 hours; New back tire in bike = $700+ and 3 hours...

Finally, I had forgotten what smooth braking was, I could have been out of there in 2 hours but the guy that was doing my car was talking up a storm with the guy next bay which continued working as he talked, this guy wasted at least good 40 minutes in his chit-chat..no biggie as long as he gets the job done right.

Come home and run back out to get a new back tire on the bike as it's showing the cords in the center (lots of highway riding). Was able to get the tire with a tiny discount so it was almost the same as Internet price, good.

It's supposed to be an hour job and I was hungry so I walked to the BK near for a 'chicken whooper' (it is not that great). Come back and see my bike on the tech's stand without wheel as he is mounting the new one..ahh good should be out of here soon.

Not so lucky, the tech, a pretty young guy was being pretty nice while I was talking to him. 15 min. later I see what appeared to be some grease on the cowl so I go and try to wipe it out and oh..ohhh...that ain't grease and it ain't coming out! It's a freaking scratch!!

Damn! that was NOT there when I dropped the bike...oh wait..the front turn signal lens doesn't look right....****! I knew immediately the bike have been dropped...(now I can see why it took him a looong time to get the wheel balanced, musta been sh*tting his pants).

To make the story short, the tech dropped the bike while trying to coax it to put it's rear in the air (to get the wheel out) with a jack under and restrains from the floor to the handlebars. Not sure why he simply didn't use one of those 'dollies' that I use to put the swingarm in the air to re-tension the chain.

Will need a new front fairing (front turn signal creaked it with the pressure and weight of the bike on it's side), new back brake lever (bent), new front brake lever (scratched/bent), new throttle end weight (end of handlebar -scratched); scratched: turn signals on right side, right fairing, exhaust and cowl.

Seems they will simply order everything new, not sure about the cowl...regardless, they stepped up to the plate and seems will take care of things, but man...I am telling you...why people can't pay more attention or at LEAST try to minimize risk/damage???

What a hassle!

The front fairing goes for about $320, turn signals $50 each, levers I would guess $40 each, end weight $20, and depending if they paint and re-apply graphics to cowl and right side fairing it could add another $440 for the fairing and $300 or so for the cowl.

I just hope they put somebody competent to the job when they replace the parts. It's not too complicated but requires attention or at least somebody with some common sense or previous experience...I know as I already put a front fairing 2 years ago when I dropped the bike myself when my foot slid on gravel at a stop and, same thing: turn signal cracked fairing...(some genius those engineers uh??).

Sigh. what a day... I can almost swear I had a premonition about something, but well, I am not that bummed down, as I said, the fairing had some minor scratches from that fall and now it will all be new , but damn! it's gonna be so expensive to repair!!! (even at dealer costs).

Keep the rubber side down .
Old 04-26-2002, 03:01 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default That sucks. What kind of bike? Bar end weights were $60 each on mine.

Expensive little suckers, but then again $5.00 for a 3 cent o-ring is crap too. Damn Suzuki parts.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:10 PM

99 Honda CBR 600 F4
Old 04-26-2002, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouch, sorry man

That's why I started mounting my own mc tires.
Old 04-26-2002, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: listen to this dropped bike at dealer story

It was 93 and i had a new ZX-7. I left the bike there for a valve adjustment and when the tech finished he rode it to the front of the store to give it to me. He then forgot to put the sidestand down as he got off the bike.....down it goes..only two weks old and its laying on its side..so back it goes into the shop for them to fix the fairing and other pieces...the motto is since then nobody else touches by bikes..i buy shop manuals and do ALL of my own work, short of lapping valves..
Old 04-26-2002, 07:27 PM

I hear you. So much incompetence in this world uh? Sad...