S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

New S4 - Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S4 - Brake question

Hi All - I just sold my E36 M3 and got a 2001 S4. So far I really like it, and whereas its a totally different car from the M3, I think I am going to be very happy with it. The quattro is really a blast on corners, now I just need to get rid of these crappy Pirelli's..

My question is about the brakes. I noticed that my brakes were pulsating (similar to how a warped rotor feels) when I would brake at speeds above 35 or so. I mentioned it to my dealer before I picked it up and he had the shop look at it before I took delivery. They looked and said the brakes look fine. We attributed it to rust and figured it would go away after I used them a little.

Here I am 500 miles later and its still happening - no noticable improvement. Has anyone experienced this so early in the S4's life - I plan to return to the dealer to have it checked out, but any advice or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2001, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've had two S4s now, and have not experienced anything like that. take it to another dealer?
Old 08-02-2001, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default [Two days old... same pulsing]

BostonMatt,

I picked mine up from Ira-Danvers and it has the same situation. Any application of the brakes above ~30-35, and the brakes pulse... I initially thought it was the ABS but now that you brought it up, I'm thinking otherwise. There is some rust on the rotors, and I thought that maybe that's what it was.

Also, sometimes, I get a pretty loud metal-metal high pitch from the right front. I'm thinking it could be more rust... or semi-metallic pads w/ excess metal.

Let me know what you think.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:00 AM

Default Re: New S4 - Brake question

I experience the same thing with my s4, but I have warped my rotors twice. I need to change them again since my last track day. My advice, warp them. Audi will replace them for free.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Same issue here with 3,500 miles on my '01 Avant........

....slight pulsation felt in the brake pedal when braking. Not what I would classify as a "warped rotor", but annoying enough that I will be mentioning it at my 5,000 service.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:07 AM

Could it be the "ABS"? (Might be normal)
Old 08-02-2001, 09:08 AM

Default Re: [Two days old... same pulsing]

I also get the high pitch from the front (not sure if it's left or right though) especially when I am manuevering at low speeds like parking or backing up. It comes and goes. I've had it looked at by 2 different dealerships and neither has found any problems so I wouldn't be too concerned about it. (The best fix is to turn your radio louder hehe.) I am rough on my car though. I go to the track often with it. I really don't think it's a problem and like I said it comes and goes. I have had my car tech inspected for the track, they found no problems. And I have not experienced any difficulty at high speeds, braking, cornering, for that matter. Just enjoy your new car, the sounds will go away and the pulsating is infrequent. (i am no mechanic but I used to drive a 4x4. In 4 wheel drive it did the same thing (noise) during tight turning (so it might be related to the quattro.) The pulsating is probably a slight warp on the rotors..
Old 08-02-2001, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Fear?

... I guess, the only fear that I really have is that my new car will have to go under the knife and I won't be able to enjoy it as much as I have in the past 1.5 days [already put 90 miles on it].

I'll definitely keep a lookout though, just until it hits ~1000 and then I can say that it's broken in. My accord used to do it too when I put new pads in, and that's why I'm not that worried.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-02-2001, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not in my case.....under "light" brake application I get the pulsation.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:21 AM

Rotors on this car rust quickly ...I drive the car to heat brakes after washing...no prob since

Quick Reply: New S4 - Brake question