S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

new S4 in town (finally got mine :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2000, 05:23 PM
occam

Default new S4 in town (finally got mine :-)

Santorin blue baby. Loaded. Fun.

I now understand all the whining (:-) about breaking in the engine. I hit 90 without trying, and the RPMs are just begging to be used.

"Oddly", my S4 was new with 41 miles on it. Is that a record high? The car arrived (unfortunately) while I was on vacation.

The car is quiet and smooth. Great so far. The stick will take some getting used to. I took off the badges (ducking). Now I'm very happy. The Santorin Blue should be pretty stealthy and low profile up here in Seattle where the sun never shines. Basically looks like dark blue in overcast but with a hint of fun.

Chat later. Now need to break it in as quickly as I can!-)

= Joe =
Old 01-04-2000, 05:26 PM
Chicago Joe

I think 41mi is relatively decent...mine had 36mi on it and I figured that was normal
Old 01-04-2000, 05:40 PM
MKH

Where did you end up getting it Occam? nt
Old 01-04-2000, 05:50 PM
Erik

Default Re: I think 41mi is relatively decent...mine had 36mi on it and I figured that was normal

I picked up my black/onyx S4 and found 8 miles on the odometer, and about 1 hour accumulated on the trip computer meter. I know that it was not driven except for PDI at the dealership...and so probably came off the truck from the port with maybe 6 miles on it. Only 500 miles so far but zero complaints...It is a thrilling ride (and "my other car" is a Ford V8 powered Miata).
Old 01-05-2000, 05:57 AM
and back (MINE)

Mine had 64 miles on it appears dealers were trading and drove the wrong car out to long island
Old 01-05-2000, 07:54 AM
occam

Default Admiral Flunder @ Barrier Audi in Bellevue

My experience with Admiral was excellent. He is very detail oriented and committed to customer satisfaction which is good because I was a pretty high maintenance customer (I'll admit it :-). For example, I picked up the car with the rear badge removed, the front plate on (i.e., no drilling for a front license plate holder), and the car arrived precisely as spec'ed (don't laugh; I waited 4 months for a car from Seattle BMW last year and they ordered the wrong car; when pressed for a correct car and some remuneration they said they refused to sell me a car; the owner, Stephen F. Norman, didn't want to damage his dealership's CSI (customer satisfaction index) since they knew they couldn't get top marks!; wow, was that an eye opening experience).

Admiral was just the opposite from Norman. My one caveat is that Barrier Audi and Admiral can be very busy, so it could be hard to reach Admiral directly, but Admiral always had (or got) the information I needed. Admiral also seems very intent on keeping his customers happy. After handing over the keys, giving me a quick dealership tour, and giving me quick pointers about the car (including features I wouln't have noticed immediately), and taking care of all my questions, he told me that his job began now... that I purchased the car! Very nice.

He gave me some little extras (especially a useful little doc. on the Nav System) even though they were his last ones (he could get new ones). Little extras in service that I appreciate. I also felt as though he was ensuring that I would get the car just as I wanted, and it appears I was right.

He was very informative up front as well and would get answers that he didn't know the answer to. He is not afraid to say he doesn't know, and to follow up.

FYI, the dealership installed StonGuard for my car as well, so I picked it up ready to go.

That's about all the gushing I can do now. :-) I'm a happy camper with Admiral at Barrier. He was recommended by a friend, and I'm very happy to recommend him as well. Also, rumor has it (I believe) that Neil McGarry (sp?; of AudiWorld.org) uses Admiral as well.

Good luck,

= Joe =

P.s., I tried University Audi (Seattle) but that dealership gives me the hibby-jibbies. I've never had a comfortable personal sales floor experience over there. My impression is that the sales people are very wary of the college crowd and that bleeds over into their customer treatment, kind of distant, cold, and even rude. So, I live on the west side, but decided to buy at Barrier. I don't know how University's service is since my S4 is my first Audi. Also, I never tried a recommended salesperson at University, so maybe the recent recommendations are for good sales people there. YMMV.
Old 01-05-2000, 12:46 PM
steveh

Default barrier wait time

how long did you have to wait to get the car ? When I placed my order in november with barrier I was #10 on the waiting list and was told it would be early summer... so I went with a bmw instead, but I still expect that I will get a s4 (particularly if the new m3 ends up >$50k).
Old 01-06-2000, 07:31 AM
occam

Default about 3 1/2 months

I ordered Sept. 17 and Barrier received it about Dec 27. I had been on their S4 list for a while. It depends on what car slot they have available. You need a slot which is still changeable but will soon be locked in for manufacturing (i.e., built as soon as possible).

If you're intent on getting one soon, you might try to find one already ordered that has the features that you want and which is soon to arrive. I've read plenty of stories on the board about people who found the car they wanted that way (not necessarily at a local dealer). I was willing to wait and get personal, local service and exactly the car I wanted. Admittedly it was a tough wait though.

Good luck,

= Joe =