S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Nightmare problem with stereo, going on 3 years, someone PLEASE help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightmare problem with stereo, going on 3 years, someone PLEASE help

I bought this 01 S4 CPO 3 years ago. I have replaced the stereo 3 times now, each time by the stealership!!!!! I am hearing intermittant crackling through the left lower driver door speaker. Eventually, the stereo unit shorts out, the last time it happened I smelled smoke! Then I go to dealer, but they just replace the radio. The last time, after they replaced the radio, I brought it back because I still hear the noise. They replaced the Bose speaker that I am hearing the interference from, and also the Bose amp guessing that this is the problem. I am still hearing the noise! I've been having this issue for years now!!!

Can anyone advise? I have a compustar alarm and also a non-factory amp which has caused heated arguements/debate with the damn dealer. They even claim that S4's do not have a theft problem so I shouldn't have "monkeyed with the factory wiring". RIGHT, maybe not so much in TX, but try parking an s4 5minutes anywhere in N.NJ. Next day or later that evening i see my car in parts on Ebay motors!

I have disabled the amp to eliminate that as a potential problem. The alarm appears to be functioning properly, except sometimes when I lock/unlock the doors, only the passenger side parking lights blink, and not all 4 parking lights blink like they should. HELP ME!!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

that's a new one here, not sure.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 AM

Sounds like there is a shorted wire on that driver door speaker.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On the older Audis and VWs, it was common...

The wiring inside the flexible rubber boot between the car's body and the driver door becomes brittle over time and eventually breaks. This can be easily diagnosed by removing the boot and inspecting the wiring.

You would think that with the dealership having to replace the stock head unit 3 times, they would go a little further into diagnosing the problem.

My guess is that there is a wire pinched somewhere against a body panel, causing a short to ground. If you're electrically inclined, you can use an ohmmeter and check each section of wiring individually by disconnecting each plug in the circuit.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Nightmare problem with stereo, going on 3 years, someone PLEASE help

Well, the dealer said that they inspected all the wiring in the door, and to the driver lower speaker, and did not find anything wrong. But that is what they SAID, who knows the truth.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any blown fuses ( apart from the radio?)
Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Any blown fuses ( apart from the radio?)

No blown fuses. everything works. I hear the static/noise from the speaker with or without the radio on. Sometimes it goes away, but after car sits overnight, i always hear it after start up. Of course when i test drive it with audi folks, it doesn't make the damn noise!! they say they believe me though...
Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd
Old 05-15-2007, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the same problem, but can only hear it with the radio on and on AM. I will check for a short.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My car has been through 4 radios, about to have it's 5th put in. :)

No codes, no nothing.

but I don't have any weird sounds or anything.

Quick Reply: Nightmare problem with stereo, going on 3 years, someone PLEASE help