S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

OK, just pulled off the TBB, and the analysis...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 09:30 PM
SWR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, just pulled off the TBB, and the analysis...

is that it's in perfect shape. I took it completely off and inspected it as thoroughly as humanly possible, and I couldn't see any possible tears in it at all. This is what I would expect since we did an AWE pressure test and couldn't detect any leaks.

So back to my weird spec'd boost vs. actual...anything else could be causing this? Should I just send the ECU back to Hoppen and demand a reflash and hope that corrects it?

Honestly, I'm disappointed that none of the AW experts can diagnose my (in my opinion) straightforward, and surely seen before, problem.

Previous posts are still there if anyone else can offer any other suggestions beyond the typical "boost leak" opinions. I don't mean to offend at all, just thought I'd get a lot more help than this. Can a poor ol' S4 buddy get a break?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I guess get it flashed/reprogrammed................

havent read all of your posts, have you tried running stock? or another chip?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you did remove all the clamps when you inspected the TBB....

only asking because both tears I had were under the clamp that connect the TBB to the throttle body....

Did you take off your BPV and apply vacuum to them to see if they held vacuum?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:35 PM
SWR

Default Yep, ran it with my old stock chip today, and...

the spec'd boost hit around .7 bar and actual hit around .65, and the differential was VERY close as opposed to when running the MTM chip which was always 15-20% difference. Ideas?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:38 PM
SWR

Default My BPVs are 1 month old 710Ns, and I didn't take off clamps, but...

I inspected the inside of the TBB and pulled back the TBB rubber underneath the clamps (all around each clamp) to see if there were any tears. Was that sufficient, and should I try again and take off the clamps completely? How noticeable was your tear, and where was it exactly? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Tears are right under the clamp. Squeezed tightly by the clamp.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:40 PM
SWR

And shown by looking directly, or must one "squeeze" the TBB? Sorry for the ignorance.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You HAVE to take off the clamps completely and bend the area....

under the clamps all the way around to inspect it properly...

My first tear was huge (~2 inches) and only could be seen when the clamps were off completely)....

My second tear was only ~1/2" - there was NO WAY to see it without the clamps off completely...

Oh, also, both of my problems happened only in chipped mode (was running APR at the time) - when stock boost levels were present, there was not enough pressure to notice a problem - double the boost pressure and there was a problem.

You also need to take off the BPV and apply vacuum to the nipple to make sure they hold -

Not trying to be a pain, but the first 2 things to look for when experiencing symptoms like your would be the BPV and the TBB, both must be inspected....

The likelihood you have a "bad chip" would be pretty low in my opinion....they simply flash a program onto a chip - hard to believe it would be bad...there are lots of problems that can be unmasked when you double the boost!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:51 PM
SWR

Thanks, Jason. Since my 710Ns are brand new, I'll try inspecting the TBB again with clamps off.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:07 AM

Default Re: OK, just pulled off the TBB, and the analysis...

sounds like the N249 with a spurious malfunction - that is what it was on my car.

Quick Reply: OK, just pulled off the TBB, and the analysis...