S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Ok, so why is my car now all of a sudden running hot?...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, so why is my car now all of a sudden running hot?...

Yes it was 100+ degrees today, but yesterday it wasn't that hot, and in the four years I've had my car I have NEVER had an overheating issue on the street, meaning my car has never gotten hotter that 12 O'Clock on the dial, except on the track in 100+ degree heat. I checked my coolant level and it "might" have been a tad low, so I put some distilled water in there and will see what happens tomorrow, but can a very slightly low coolant level lead to higher than normal engine temps? Any ideas would be great as I'm literally afraid to take my car out tomorrow when it's supposed to be hotetr than today.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How high did it go?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Today it went "very slightly" past the first line past center (12 O'Clock)...

which is as hot as I ever got on the track and I pulled off the track when it got that hot.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:11 PM

Default slighly over 12 o'clock can mean that your aux coolant pump is leaking or your sensor is bad...

a slighly low coolant level means that it might be the aux coolant pump.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:21 PM

Default It's so frustrating because the coolant reservoir...

has a MIN and MAX line, and while the MIN line level is pretty easy to see, the MAX line level is harder because it appears to be right at the seam of the tank. Anyway, the level appeared (before I put some water in the tank) to be somewhere between the MIN and MAX level lines. Is that level normal, or is anything below the MAX line considered "low"? Also, if it was my coolant pump or sensor, wouldn't that show up on a VAG report? If yes it's weird because I just ran one the other day and it was just another warm up catalyst code.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Also, when I first realized it was hot today I had been driving like an idiot...

for the conditions. The traffic was stop and go on the Bay Bridge, then I was racing around on the streets of SF in 1st and 2nd gear trying to get to an appointment, when I looked at the ambient temp guage and saw that it was "104 degrees" outside, and my car temp guage was at the first line. I hadn't realized it because I had the air running (also not good) and was listening to the new Tool album, clueless to how hot it was. Luckily I got to where I was going two blocks later. But then when I was driving home steadily in moving traffic, and later in the day just down into town, the temp moved a couple times past center, even to the first line last center when I went into town, which to me was insane, because my car should have had plenty of time to cool down after it was last driven a couple hours before.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:26 PM

Default no, the sensor does not always show up as a code. :)

you should just buy a 6speed
Old 06-21-2006, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't worry at this point. Just past center is not a big deal.

My car also did that for the first time ever two weeks ago when I was stuck in a traffic jam for two hours in very hot weather.

I just replaced my afterrun pump so I know that wasn't an issue.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:29 PM

Default What, 6 speeds don't overheat? I'll still have the FMIC you fool!...

And if you'd find me a freakin 6 speed I'd buy one, K? Ps. Now that I know what the problem might be, what the hell should I do to figure out what the problem is? TIA!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:30 PM

Not just past center, just past the first line past center.

Quick Reply: Ok, so why is my car now all of a sudden running hot?...