S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Are our flywheels machineable for a new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are better off using a new flywheel with a new clutch
Old 02-05-2004, 08:12 AM

Default Did some diging, didn't find much.

One place in Columbus (ohio, where I live) says they can do it, have done numerous 'double mass' flywheels on Porsche's. But they also said it cost $35, that just seems so far off from the $179 that someone else said I'm not sure they are totally on base.

I called the machine shop that they sent the flywheel to and they asked me some more specifics that I wasn't totally sure about. They asked me if it was a floating one which I'm assuming it is because they said that they are impossible to grind down. I'm not saying that they are right in saying that but maybe they just don't know how to/don't have the machine so it is impossible in their eyes.

I'm going to call them back and see what they think about sending it out to your shop Jason. I guess at that point if they say it's gone (ruined) I will go from there with trying to get them to replace it, although with as harsh as they have been up to this point I'm not keeping my hopes up.

How much do you guys charge normally for this service?

This flywheel has ~40kmi. on it. Should it be resurfaceable for one that has seen normal wear for that mileage or will the issues that MarkS4 spoke about possible come into play?

Thanks, Jesse.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:22 AM

I've sent out 2 flywheels to Jason and they did a great job. Saved my customers some dough
Old 02-05-2004, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's really not that much of a risk, from an engineering standpoint.

There are two different methods used to do it, and we've done both ways. We've stuck with one lately, but both work equally well. I'm not going to elaborate, because we have a competitive advantage and I'm not going to give that up so easily. I've carved out a little market niche for ND by providing this service, and I plan on keeping it.

Keep in mind that the pressure plate mounting surface is machined as well. That's simply standard practice with any stepped flywheel design (single mass or dual). The critical dimension from the step to the wear surface is one attention is paid to. That I can assure you.

Prior heat is not an issue, and amount of material removed isn't either. We're talking small amounts here, in the order of maybe .005" or so. The "work" being done is relatively slow speed with minimal downforce. If we find that a flywheel is not going to be within "acceptable" limits post resurfacing, it's a scrapped item. We won't use it and advise the customer it's a bad core part. Out of about 75+ S4 flywheels done, I've only had two that were not usable cores. Out of 30+ A4 flywheels done, all of them were usable.

Securing the dual-mass flywheel properly is very important. This is where most shops fail. They don't get it in a jig correctly, and the flywheel bites back (stored energy releases, causing major issues). One guy locked up his machine and it blew out his breaker panel as a result. He ruined that one, to say the least. So, avoid a disaster and just send it to ND.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Benefits of new vs. resurfaced do not exceed the delta in cost incurred by end user ($725 vs. $185).

While I agree a new flywheel is the ultimate solution, it's not so much better that one should spend $725 or more to arrive at that solution.

We also offer new Aluminum lightweight flywheels as an alternative for $699.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:53 AM

Default If you are only skim cutting 0.005" then it should not need to be resurfaced to begin with...

Please understand I am not trying to flame you or the service you are offering. If people are on that tight of a budget, then I would agree this is a good bandaid solution. Also keeping the p/p to contact surface step is important and it is great you guys do that.

But honestly the part about biting back sounds like the other guys have no clue what they are doing. I do not see where this is a niche market. Any competent machine shop with a CNC lathe that has a CSS (Constant Surface Speed) cutting feature will do just as good of a job at cutting a flywheel. As I stated previously you only need to clamp the outer surface that the p/p sits on and check that everything is parallel by indicating concentricity of the pilot/needle bearing bore. Then program feedrate in inches per rev (ipm) for material being cut and enjoy.

And yes were machinists :]
Old 02-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Former Vendor

Cost is not always the ruler by which people should measure their actions.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Budget?

Everyone knows how much $500 is. That is a very large price increas as Jason was saying. ~3X, that's a huge cost increase to benifit ratio if both solutions work. It's going to cost about twice as much in parts to do a new flywheel (plus clutch, flexplate, to bearing) as opposed to a resurfaced one.

Yes, money is an object. The only three people I can think of that money isn't an object is Donald Trump, Bill Gates and that saltan who 'owns' a country. Otherwise, twice as much is twice as much and $500 is $500.

I'd rather buy a chip with that or dump it into my Talon.

Having said that I've also talked to other people on this and I'm just going to get the new one. I want a chip for my s4, I want a suspension for my talon. Thoes will just have to wait a bit longer. : }
Old 02-05-2004, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree. However, reality is the VAG market is VERY price sensitive.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default .005" is about the min. removed. We've had to go .015" or more on some.

Regardless, it's simply a service we offer. We don't do it to make money, we do it to ensure our customers have solutions for their needs. It is a niche market, believe me.

The bottom line: we do it, and we do it well. It's all about being a value-added company in this case. It's not very complex, yet others in the market aren't catering to this need like we are. That's it.

Quick Reply: Are our flywheels machineable for a new clutch?