S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Purchasing used wheels, a cautionary tale.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing used wheels, a cautionary tale.

So took my curb rashed wheels down to wheel techniques in campbell to get them repaired, repainted. Getting them done up in gunmetal this time.

Just got a call that 3 of the wheels are bent. So, had the wheels on my car for 15k miles total, in California. What are the chances that I managed to bend 3 out of 4 wheels in a year and a half? I am guessing not really high.

Well, I bought them used, they had been 'refinished' and repainted before I got them, and seemed fine. This might even explain the really messed up wear on my yokohama's

So if you buy used wheels, that cost any significant amount of money, get them checked first.

In the end, my wheels will be good as new, Wheel Techniques does amazing work. It will be cheaper than going out and buying a whole new set of wheels, and really no one else has Magneseum Technomagnesios, but still, I am a little ticked off right now.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not according to Wheel Collision Center...

<i>WHEEL COLLISION CENTER leads the industry in straightening aluminum wheels, using proprietary machinery and tooling. Our Patented Repair Process assures 100% wheel integrity.</i>

I've used them several times, they do great work.<ul><li><a href="http://www.wheelcollision.com/">Wheel Collision Center</a></li></ul>
Old 08-02-2002, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Rims aren't aluminum anways, magneseum, probably the same. Anyway, moot point since, there aren't a

lot of choices. I am not going to pawn them off on some unknowing fool, and I don't feel like going out and spending 2k on rims that weigh 2x as much.

So I get them fixed, repainted etc. Figure they will be better than they were when I had them on the car, since they won't be bent.

Also if they were that bad I would have probably noticed before, so, heres to hoping.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:54 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Not true.

My friend did her master's in Materials Engineering at Lehigh. At the time, WCC was working on wheel repair techniques, and they sent they repaired sample back to Lehigh, where my friend was analyzing the reworked metal samples. She mentioned to me that cold working a rim (bending it back into shape) would result in a weaker rim, but the hot working techniques that WCC employed resulted in a stronger material than what they started with.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bending metal does not make it weaker, it makes it stronger, and therefore more brittle

this is why when you bend a piece of metal back and fourth, it eventually snaps. It's also why a forged wheel is stronger than a cast wheel.