S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

A question for you big brakers out there...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2000, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question for you big brakers out there...

How are your rotors and pads holding up? Any complaints about street rideability (i.e. is it comfortable, level of squeal) vs. racing performance?

Looking to upgrade everything and currently looking at Coleman rotors with the Alcon-B's most likely.
Old 03-28-2000, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: A question for you big brakers out there...

I have the Alcon B kit w/ Colemans. The calipers are great. They're small, and provide unbelievable clamping power. I did have some minor brake problems while I was out at the track though. I slightly warped my rotors, possibly due to the fact that the Pagid blacks were not the right track pad for me. I am moving to Pagid Oranges up front and Pagid blues in the back. Another thing to consider is that Vortrag is now using cryo'ed Colemans, so they should be much more resistant to warping. I think the only advantage to using Colemans is that they're big and cheap.

Around town driving is great with this kit. It really is quite streetable with Pagid blacks. Good cold stopping, good wet weather stopping, pedal feel is good, and I have little to no squeal.

Also, Vortrag is working on a brake duct kit, which should help out considerably. Lightweight open spoke wheels would help too.

If you can't fork out the bucks for the Alcon kit, check out the Mov'it kit. The caliper and rotors in those kits are very good as well, and have been proven to work with fast heavy cars like Vettes and Vipers. My beef is that the caliper is so big that they have to make the hub thicker, which requires longer wheel bolts, and your choice of aftermarket wheel fittings is thrown off. The money you save on the brakes may be lost by reduction of wheel choices.

Warren
Old 03-28-2000, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Agree with Warren, more....

The pad compound is an important choice and I'd get the tuner's advice instead of doing what many do ("Gee, what's the most aggressive pad you have?"). The Orange in front with Blue in the rear or Black in front with Blue in the rear are the favorite setups from what I've seen on the forum. Also, for what it's worth, I ran black in front, blue in rear on the street without problems.

The rotor question is really whether replacement or endurance is the priority. Rotors are, to put it simply, disposable. They get used up, like any other part of the car put under high thermal and mechanical stresses. The Colemans are common, cheap, and easy to get shipped to you FedEx if you need them quickly. If you want long-lasting gear, you could always go with the B-type on an Alcon rotor for added longevity at higher cost.

An Alcon believer,
Cameron
A4 (sold, B-type front and H-type rear)
TT (on order, already have a set of Alcons for it)
Old 03-28-2000, 03:36 PM

Thanks alot fellas!