S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Recommendations for winter tires destined for the OEM AVUS wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for winter tires destined for the OEM AVUS wheels?

A local place is pushing hard for Nokians, but I was wondering what the forum thinks.

I've always had all-seasons, but I finally got a new set of wheels and summer tires (Enkei RPM2s with GY EF1GS-DS3s), and now I need some winter tires for my OEM wheels so I don't die the first time it snows.

I searched, but I'm seeing all kinds of varying recommendations...someone make my decision for me! =)

Suggestions?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default haha is turkey arms pushing the nokian hakkas?

they probably are the best tire.

dunlop wintersport m3s are popular
Old 10-12-2007, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've tired a few different snows...

Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons: CRAP!

Blizzak LM22s: Loved them. Never once got stuck. Silent on the road.

Michelin Pilot Artic Alpin: OK. Not the best snow traction. Got 3 bubbles in the sidewalls! Improvement over all seasons, though.

Nokian Hakka WRs: Just put these on (time to straighten my bent summers, and deal with some fender rubbing). I like them so far- and the person I bought them used from said they were the best he has used out of a few. These are a bit less aggressive snows- so fine in the late fall sort of rainy junk we get here.

Overall, I'd take the Blizzaks, though.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where do you live? In Cincinnati, I have run the Michelin Pilot Alpins for the last 6 yrs in winter

and they are perfect for the weather here - mostly dry and cold; maybe 5 - 10 real snow days per year at most. I have OEM size (225/45R-17) and they have gotten me through some pretty big snows without issue (if the car can clear the snow, these tires will get you through). They are really good for cold, rainy early spring/late fall days and hold up well for aggressive street driving in the cold and dry conditions.

If you get a lot of snow, these likely aren't the best. Good compromise tire - better in snow than all seasons while being almost as good in the dry as all seasons.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Love the Blizzak LM-25s. Highly reccommend.

They give you good handling response and are not all soggy like most winter tires.

Also, the Blizzak WS-60 just came out as well. Very good snow traction.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunlop Wintersport M3 or 3Ds
Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM

Default I run Hakka 4's

Hands down best snowtire Ive owned including Gislaved. 4 wheel drifts in snow around sharp bends at 35 mph no problem, perfect control. If you still want to play around in the dry-forget it, they are squirmy as heck..you lose all the fun of driving the S while they're on in dry. My roads are steep, windy and unplowed at 5:30am when I leave for work and didnt find the Dunlops cut it for me. Not the best choice for most people - I just bought Pirelli V-rated snows for my wifes Cayenne - she does not need that agressive a snowtire for the times/manor in which she drives, which is how 95% of people use their cars.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I run Pilot Alpins, 5 winters, no problems.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Depends on where you live - I get by fine in metro NY with Nokian WRs,

Had Contiwintercontacts before them - better in snow (which we don't get a ton of and when we do it is plowed pretty quick,) but the dry performance was not comparable. I also run GSd3s for summer - very happy with this tire!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ 2nd^^^^

Quick Reply: Recommendations for winter tires destined for the OEM AVUS wheels?