S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

In reference to leslie's post... "Interesting thoughts from AoA..."

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In reference to leslie's post... "Interesting thoughts from AoA..."

first, read her post. it should be about 16 posts below. in case you still can't find it, the link is below.

now, my .02 cents:

i've been "on board" with audi for 10 years; s4 being my third...

and i've gotten plenty of people to join audi including my sister who'll be picking up her s4 avant very soon. so, i'm no foreigner to audi. it's all i've had. this said, let me continue...

len hunt is right about a few things. first, it's tough to get people into audi's. you have to show them how good the cars can really be. quattro is amazing. there's no other traction control equipped car out there that'll do what it can do - not w/o cutting off the gas and jarring you with the abs until you become numb like a rat in one of skinner's boxes. and, it's not just meant for foul weather conditions either. it really does shine in the dry. so, knowing that, i try and commit people to get audi's. i've been successful... to a degree. last year, i tried to get someone into an A8. she knew that it was the sensible car to get. but she didn't do it. she said, a merc would be much more reliable. fine, but i reminded her how well my a4 has treated me. she still didn't see it my way. trust me, i tried. the A8 was beautiful to drive - she didn't even want to test drive it. i ended up doing the test drive. a little ticked off, i decided to give the merc salesperson a hard time. i asked him how this certain merc compares to the A8. the nerve of him, he just replied, "it's a mercedes benz." i was shocked. (more on this later)

so, i'm in that walled garden - been in it a long time. i love driving the car when it doesn't have problems. when i'm driving a loaner for reasons other than routine maintenance, that walled garden is beginning to stink. i want to get out... i get the car back and the stink disappears, so i stay for the experience and loyalty.

"... cars are not washing machines or computers." i don't sit and go goo-goo-ga-ga over a washing machine. i also don't spend 10 hours out of a weekend making my computer look better than it did in the showroom. i have a bond with my car. broken washing machine? get rid of it. get another one. it'll wash better. computer? ooh, faster, better, more games! dump the busted one. why? b/c as len hunt says, you get no experience out of these particular items. typing on a keyboard isn't the same as driving through some fabulous open stretch of road. so, the irony is, the experience is making me get rid of the car.

"...but if they can't get parts and service in a timely fashion, it's likely they won't be back." i gave up my old a4 dealership for another one b/c i had to wait over a month to get any service done. they were that busy. made me feel lousy for backing out on them when it was time to get the s4 but something had to be done. well, i'm back to them again but now, they can't get the parts. what was it about service and parts that len hunt said? i forgot. i don't even want to say how much crap i got from another dealership back in the coupe quattro days. is this a good experience? everything is starting to come together now... perhaps i've been such an audifanatic, it didn't matter anytime before. it does now.

back to the merc salesman. so, i'm shocked that he could actually have said what he said. ever since then, i've been wondering when audi was going to reach that level where their reputation allows their salespeople to make such bold statements. these days, guess what i'm hearing? a certain person who bought a merc suggesting i try another car. doesn't have to be a merc (i don't like them anyways) but just another car. and one more little bit of irony... she's telling me that it's the sensible thing to do.

so, do i give up? i love quattro. i love that sense of security. OTOH, i think i've put up with alot. ten years is a long time. i think i will wait for audi to open up that walled garden and show me what they have to offer. tempt me and not force my own self to do the tempting. until then, i will find a garden that isn't pent up. if it's a car for an enthusiast, let it be. don't scare us into thinking we have to drive these s4s like big S class mercs. didn't audi reprint/republish the Car and Driver M3, C43AMG, Viggen and S4 shootout? It's a performance car, right? so, the next time some M friends of yours invite you to come out to a driving event, you have to sit at home right? right. cause the many s4 owners i've talked to fear driving their cars like a performance "rocket" b/c if something happens, they feel that audi will come down on them. sure, audi will follow through but where did this fear emanate from? i'm scared of my own car and now of audi. I'm not sure if this is what you call that "Pure Experience" philosophy. i'm tired of having to explain. i was the one that was dedicated and continued to buy audi cars. i'm the one sitting in front of 5 M owners (friends), all of whom witnessed my turbos blow, having to explain how great the s4 is. i still think that it is but i also think there are other manufacturers who could appreciate their customers abit more - i don't ask alot. it's time to move on... i'll still hold onto the S but i'll drive it like an S class now... how 'bout another shootout Car and Driver? Battle of the S's? i could even write it up!
Old 10-26-2000, 05:38 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Post Jee
Old 10-26-2000, 05:46 PM
Elder Member

agreed.
Old 10-26-2000, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you said it best that now we're scared of Audi, more specificaly AoA, because we don't drive

like Ms. Daisy is in the back seat. This is ridiculous. This is a sports car, specced as such, marketed as such. If AoA won't back up repairs when I drive it as such, then I consider it false advertising and the BBB will be notified of it ASAP.
Old 10-26-2000, 06:40 PM

My sentiments exactly.
Old 10-26-2000, 06:42 PM

Default Audi mechanic and service rep want me to be easy on the S4.

One dealer mechanic said it is abusive to rev the engine more than 3500rpm. A service rep at another dealer was giving me a hard time, because I had porsche brakes, therefor I autox, and this is bad for the S4. Gant it that these people may not be the best Audi has to offer.

With 2nd gear resisting more and more, bad MAF sensor, and my service experience thus far, I am glad that I can at least have fun with the brake pedal.

Adam
Old 10-26-2000, 06:42 PM

Default own a Mercedes, prefer Audi...(more)

My wife drives an SLK 230 AMG Sport. It is a piece of crap compared to the S4. (and it cost more money!)

I tried to convince a friend to join the "S4 cult". We went to do some comparison shoping at the local BMW dealer. The dealer explained how the 330i would run circles around the S4, explained how the 0-60 times for the S4 were around 7.0, and then bragged how BMW had just one 1st, 2nd and 3rd at the LeMans 24 hour race!

In the end, my friend prefered the S4 but it was uncomfortable for his wife so they bought the 330i.

Audi needs to punch a few swinging doors in that "wall".

Now, off to drive my S4 hard - all the way home - so that the turbo blows before my warranty period ends. What choice do I have? At least it's raining and I will be grinning the whole time. : )
Old 10-26-2000, 06:59 PM

Default Re: In reference to leslie's post... "Interesting thoughts from AoA..."

Re Len Hunt
Why Audi or anybody in America puts up with him I don't know - he is SAD.
Watch him brown-nosing Paefgen and the rest of the Audi managerial team and you realise that Audi's AG's attitude to the US is "any **** will do".

However, look after your S4s - they are probably the last Turbo-charged 4 series cars you will see.

Remember this, historically, half Audi's problems in the US have been because they think Americans are dog-dirt (and Len agrees with them).
Old 10-26-2000, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think it has been established that all dealers witin 100 miles of you are MORONS!!! =:D

I would take any advice they give with a double handful of salt.

But I understand your fears

I hope you have better luck in D.C.