S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

remarks on new O.CT stage 3 with Spec clutch and other goodies

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remarks on new O.CT stage 3 with Spec clutch and other goodies

I have finally drove my car, after 3-4 months of hell. Its been beefed up with "early option" (notice the quotes) O.CT K04s/ along with the rest of the O.CT stg. 4 kit, DUH FMIC and DUH prototype DPs, Spec stage 3 hybrid clutch with LW flywheel, ported manifold, forge BPVs,and AMS TBB.

Im still pretty much breaking it in, so I'll have more comments after I have had a chance to really drive it to its potential. It pulls hard though.

Now let me say, the Spec clutch is a major biatch! A lot of people say its got near stock pedal feel, I dont know how anyone could think that. This clutch is hardcore- *SUPER* touchy, and extremely stiff. I'll get used to it but its gonna take a while.

There is a bit of chatter under 2K RPMs with the LW flywheel, but not bad at all. I didnt even notice it at first.

My reverse suddenly wont work, dont know whats up with that.

With the DPs the car just purs, its lovely. I would love to take off the cats to hear it really growl, but I dont want to cause problems with the O.CT software.

On the freeway the car pulls. Supposedly my car should be faster than a Carrera 4, which I got to take for a spin as well this weekend, but it does'nt feel like it, yet.

As far as the "early option" K04s, I have never drove another Stage III S4 to compare, so I am not quite sure if it is BS. I'll be dynoing the car soon, so we will know for sure if there garbage or not then.

On another note, my new stero has a extremely annoying hissing sound, I was told its because of the stock head unit, but I kind of doubt that, any ideas? I have a Zapco 1000 AG and 650 AG powering Diamond audio components and a JL W7. Also the Midrange just sucks major ***, even though I dynomatted it as well. The sound system honestly sounded way better stock bose, not enough bass obviously but it sounds way better and cleaner than my current expensive crap.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default what flywheel did you go with?

I have the spec with spec 2 and it is twitchy and my reverse wont go in either. Im flinstoning it for now. Its getting checked at the moment.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:00 PM

Default Spec flywheel...

Also I have had the slave cyl. replaced as well as most of the clutch assembly. So I dont know whats up with it.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default mine is getting hydraulics done now. Do you see a difference cold/hot?

I can get it in cold, but 5 mins later, reverse is dead and I need to start rev matching.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 PM

Default just noticed it a few hours a go

what do you mean by rev matching?

The last two times I found that if I'm driving, then stop and put it in, it works. But if I stop too long it does'nt. Really strange!
Old 04-12-2004, 10:11 PM

Default DUH prototype DP's eh? Did I miss something recently?

haven't heard mention of these...any pics of your install?

Thanks
Aman
Old 04-12-2004, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

neither have I....and i stfa and didnt find anything
Old 04-12-2004, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I see a huge difference cold to hot.

My engagement point is about 1 inch from the floor cold. As the car warms up, the engagement point starts shifting closer to the floor until its "lost". Once the car/clutch is hot, I cant disengage the clutch. I believe that the tolerances are very tight due to the new clutch and given the double thermal coefficient expansion factor of aluminum to steel, as the flywheel warms up, it expands closing the small gap between the pressure plate, flywheel and clutch disc at full pedal. It has gotten much better since first day. Maybe im just getting better at driving with no clutch.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:22 PM

Default I dont think he has spent much time on these at all...

Back in november he told me he had made this design a year or so a go. Mine are a one-off. The production of my DPs has been put off for months, because Eric has been busy with intercooler stuff.

I would'nt jump to conclusions.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:24 PM

very interesting

Quick Reply: remarks on new O.CT stage 3 with Spec clutch and other goodies