S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Rotors: Cross-drilled or Slotted...Which would you get and why? Benifits/drawback for each?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2000, 06:55 AM
CP

Rotors: Cross-drilled or Slotted...Which would you get and why? Benifits/drawback for each?
Old 02-23-2000, 06:58 AM
matthewk

Please answer this. i really want to know the difference.
Old 02-23-2000, 07:05 AM
Jim De Arras

Uh, one's got holes, and one's got slots? ;-)
Old 02-23-2000, 07:17 AM
CP

Default Funny guys. I really need some info...>

I went to change my pads (both front and rear) last night on my A4. My front rotors had a lip on the inside and the outside of the rotor (both sides) where the pads had not been contacting it. This appears normal but I was unable to get the caliper off to get to the pads. So I've decided to replace the rotors with some from Adirondak Auto Brokers, but I'm not sure which ones to get. They offer cross-drilled Zimmermans and the ATE Power Disks (slotted). I'm not sure of the performance difference between the two. My driving is primarily street with very few track events yearly(3 at the most). The pads I was attempting to install were the Mintex Redbox. Any enlightenment on which type of rotor to purchase? The Zimms were $65ea..
Old 02-23-2000, 07:23 AM
Warren Wang

Default Slotted if I had to choose b/w those, but...

If your caliper and pads are good enough, then don't get either. You're just losing rotor mass and contact area. Check out the really fast race cars. They're mostly either slotted or just vented rotors. Less reliability problems in general.

There's only one drilled rotor that I would trust, and they aren't even actually drilled holes. Porsche has some very nice rotors which have the holes casted in them. You can get these with the Mov'it kits. Much more resistant to cracking.

Check out the archives too. Lots of discussion about this.

Warren
Old 02-23-2000, 07:30 AM
matthewk

Jim - OK i take it back you are not the man any longer :-p
Old 02-23-2000, 07:31 AM
Warren Wang

Default Adirondack

That's a good place to order low cost stuff from. Of the two, I'd choose the ATE slotted.

Don't expect braking performance improve much though. Neither at the track nor on the street. The only thing that really determines that on the A4 is going to be how aggressive a pad you're using. Redbox should help ward off fading a little bit. If you can swing the bucks, check out how much the Pagid blacks. I'm not sure what sort of brake pad you're looking for though. High temp brake fluid will help a lot on the A4 too. Those calipers suck and tend to let the brake fluid get to very high temperatures.

Make sure you get a nice long breaker bar to remove those 17mm bolts (21 on an S4). You don't want to force it with a shorter bar and risk rounding them off. And yes, the lip on the rotors is normal, especially if you've been to a few track events.

Warren
Old 02-23-2000, 07:33 AM
Reggie

Craig just put
Old 02-23-2000, 07:35 AM
Reggie

Default Criag just put DBA on his A4 - they are drilled and looked great.

I am looking to order some drilled and slotted ones - here's the link<ul><li><a href="http://www.dba.com.au/">DBA</a></li></ul>
Old 02-23-2000, 07:38 AM
merlin

Default If the big brakes are just for show, it really doesn't matter, pick what looks best. But (more)

if you plan on pushing the brakes to their limits, road racing experience with BMW M5s using Brembo and AP systems and trying both cross-drilled and slotted rotors showed that while braking performance was equal between the different rotor types, the cross-drilled were more prone to heat cracking. Cracks would develop consistently between the rotor perimiter and the outer row of holes. Cross-drilled rotors held up better and worked just as well in the rain, too.

Quick Reply: Rotors: Cross-drilled or Slotted...Which would you get and why? Benifits/drawback for each?