S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

run-in with Cobra replica....(long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default run-in with Cobra replica....(long)

OK, just received my APR chip today - my wife even called me at work to say that it was in! Rushed home (BTW, waved at an Imola Yellow S4 that I frequently see on Winton Road in Cincy at about 6pm? I think that you are here, right?)

Well, install the chip - throttle adaption - I'm off! What, no difference?! Oh yeah, got the EMCS with lots of options. Check the program - they sent it in stock mode? Flip over to the chipped program - now that's what I'm talking about!!!!! Wow the midrange torque is just awesome - scary actually as now my brakes feel woefully inadequate.

To the Cobra: spent the evening hours at my church as I am an elder there. Leave for a quick spin. Driving VERY SLOWLY down Reed-Hartman Highway for you Cincy guys at about 10pm with almost no traffic. Listening for wierd noises, surges, etc. In the mirrors are headlights approaching FAST - Must be a sign: my first test of the chip! Well, as I gently speed up to punch it when he gets along side, I see that it is a blue cobra with white stripes, sidepipes, etc. (replica I'm assuming)!! Geez, are you kidding! What kind of first test is this crap!!! Anyway, we both puch it (I was in 4th doing about 45-50 when I hit it). His car lurches forward and is absolutely WAILING, almost deafening! I did not hear him downshift at all as I assumed he thought that he could easily overtake me. These are only 4-spd anyway, right? Well guess what? I never saw his tail lights!! No kidding! I still can't believe it. I didn't pull on him either. Saw neither headlights or tail lights - about dead even. I'll take that as I was expecting to get seriously spanked. Don't even ask how fast we got going - he turned off and I braked hard (still smell the brakes) after about 120 or so....I am still shaking. I almost never do that - way too fast on public roads. Not one car ahead of us, but still several cross streets that could have been serious.

Though you guys might like this one! Thanks for reading my 'ramblin - I am still shaking from that!
Old 08-27-2001, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

feels pretty good, though. Doesn't it???
Old 08-27-2001, 06:16 PM
Banned

careful dude..it's so easy to go fast in these things, let alone being chipped.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:20 PM

Now go out and get some GAS (race gas that is...)
Old 08-27-2001, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Congrats on the chip...................

I guess we'll have to see just how much faster that thing is than a stock S4. Maybe I'll stop on the way by someday. BTW, I thought that you had an "I'm in a big hurry" look on your face!
Old 08-27-2001, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cobra Replaca's can have a wide range of engines

I have heard of turnkey cars coming out of the shop with late model 302s out of mustangs and on the other end with real 427 side oilers tuned (but still very streetable) to 600+ hp.

I would have to believe this guy is wondering how he spent 60 grand on a car that gets beat by a sedan. - Great Job
Old 08-27-2001, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Congrats on the chip...................

Ha! Thanks. You are welcome to drive the car anytime - Work there on Monday and Thursdays only.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:03 PM

Default Weird, I think I raced the same bustang at reed hartman & 275 last Friday night.!

It's not often you read another post from someone in Cincy, not to mention someone who raced the same car.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:11 PM

Default Old Cobra, not late model mustang ....

This was an old Cobra replica (small little convertible that looks 'kinda like a miata on steroids), not a mustang. I personally love the cars. I really have no idea what engine was in there, but it sure was LOUD with the sidepipes and all. I have seen him around before on the NE side of Cincy (I live in Blue Ash/Montgomery area).

How many Cincy S4ers are in here? Sorry for the question, as I am a previous BMW owner (and will have a new E46 M3 next year, sorry guys).
Old 08-27-2001, 11:56 PM

It really would have been funny if you hit second gear... you would have smoked him hard!!

Quick Reply: run-in with Cobra replica....(long)