S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Run-in with NY S4 Thieves Friday Night!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run-in with NY S4 Thieves Friday Night!

My Nogaro Blue S4 was stolen and recovered (with no headlights and a fair bit of damage) in May in NYC. Friday evening, I finally got my car back from the dealer and it was looking perfect.

I parked it on the street around the corner of my Upper West side apartment (right next to the Museum of Natural History) for 30 minutes while I grabbed a few things for a weekend trip I had planned.

I walked back to my car and found three guys trying to steal my car. One of them was in my car, having already punched a hole in the door, feverishly trying to start the car by popping the ignition cylinder. The other two were in a U-Haul truck right next to the car, blocking the view of the car from the street.

Not thinking, I rushed over to my car, started pounding on the passenger side door and yelling at the guy in the car to get out. The guy in the car opened the driver side door and the U-Haul took off, side swiping my car, almost taking off the door and ramming my car into the parked car ahead of it.

I started to chase the guy who had been in my car on foot, but I saw that he was carrying what looked to be a crow bar, so I opted instead to try and get the license plate number on the U-Haul which, at that point, had sped around the corner. Two very nice girls witnessed the whole thing, and in fact, got a partial license plate ID.

I spent the next 6 hours with some very pleasant police officers from Manhattan's 20th preceinct. I had gotten a decent look at the guys who tried to take the car and was able to give them a description, together with a description of the U-Haul and the partial plate ID. After a few hours, a cop from the Evidence Collection Team showed up and took finger prints and gathered some other evidence. They really seem like they want to catch these guys.

Bottom line -- my car is back in the shop with a lot of damage -- and I am ready to give up my S4 and get something that's a little less of a target.

I am prepared to do whatever I can to help catch these guys -- and to work with Audi to find a solution to this problem.

Until something is done, however, I sadly have concluded that an S4 is not a viable car to drive in the NY/NJ areas.

I welcome any sympathy, advice or information.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry! That sucks, but it has a lot to do with living in NY/NJ as well.

S4's aren't "going missing" anywhere else in the country at a normal than average rate. I agree, you need something less steal prone.

Sorry man,

Mike s
Old 07-14-2002, 08:21 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default :-( Sorry dude. I hope they catch these particular guys, but we all know...

word has already spread, and these cars are easy targets. I hope you find something a little less troublesome for your next ride. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OMG, that story sounds like a movie, man...I'm sooo sorry

On the semi-brighter side, your description and your eye-witnesses may help stop (or at least slow down) S4 thefts in your area.

And at least you still have your car...

But most importantly, you still have your HEALTH...having a car stolen is one thing but coming face to face with 3! criminals attempting to steal your car is crazy. You're very lucky the Uhaul guys didn't jump out to help their friend. It may be a pimp car but it's not worth your life. (Of course, I woulda acted the same way you did and chased them too...)
Old 07-14-2002, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damn! Glad you at least caught them in the act!!!

I just read that Dru's (BlyLytnin') S4 was stolen on Saturday!

I was wondering how they pulled off these thefts. =( Makes my blood boil to hear about these events. It's even worse because I know some of the guys personally.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:32 PM

Default Theives will take a shot at ANY car worth having. (m)

I certainly wouldn't give up the car that I really wanted, simply to be less of a target. Perhaps you can do more to discourage theives. Do you have an alarm? If not, get one. Club? Get one. Maybe leave a nice cooler marked "BIOHAZARD - INFECTIOUS WASTE" on the passenger seat when you park on the street. Hrmmm... Is the personalized license plate, "GAMBINO" taken? Just some ideas. ;-)
Old 07-14-2002, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default damn it! sorry man...

you did a good job with the given situation, but sorry you have go through that whole ordeal again. good luck with your next car, and i guess i better watch my back more and more ;(

steve
Old 07-14-2002, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have seen your car MANY times..

until I moved, I lived on the upper east side, always drove past your car, and a black one (closer to the West Side Highway) on my way there...
sorry to hear about your bum luck! Someone had better put an end to this nonsense...
James
Old 07-14-2002, 08:48 PM

Sorry, man! U-Haul should be documenting damaged trucks - can you check out that route with them?
Old 07-14-2002, 08:51 PM

Default I know the cops were going to check with U-Haul

We discussed this Friday night. Hopefully, the thieves were dumb enough to rent the U-Haul using a real name -- but more likely they stole the U-Haul too...

Quick Reply: Run-in with NY S4 Thieves Friday Night!